Horse in Season?

K WALKER

Nov 22, 2000
Visit site
I have recently bought a mare and although she was fine for a couple of weeks she now seems somewhat 'scatty'! As one of her traits is to lift her tail whilst other horses are about, I believe she may be in season (I am giving her other misbehaviours the benefit of the doubt!).

Please would you advise how often a horse comes into season and how long it lasts.

Are there any other traits I should watch for, and/or should I treat her any differently during this period?

Any advice would be welcome!!!

Thanking you in advance.

Kim
xxx

All mares are different. Some get back pain and buck at the canter, and some get so, shall I say "CAT-like" that they bac into trees with their tails lifted.

When the mare lifts her tail, do you see any movement of her parts? Lots of mares squeal a lot when is season, so if she's more vocal, that could be the reason.

I can't remember how long season lasts, but I think it's a little late in the year for her to be in season, unless you are in the southern hemisphere.

Forgive my ignorance!

Are you saying that Mares do not have seasons in the colder months of the year?

What months do they have seasons?
How often (monthly, bi-monthly,ect)
How long do they last?

Should the horse be fed differently?
Should I treat her differently?

Please, please help!!!!!

hello!

Mares have seasona about every 3 weeks. In the UK they start being in season in about May and stop in septemberish time. So basically it is just during hte summer months. They last from about 4 days to a week.

They horse can stay on exactly the same feed duringhte season, but if your horse gets really stressed during hte season (like human PMT) and you are not riding over that week, it may be worht cutting back on her feed. Some people swear by herbal supplements to ease the hormones and pain (if any) duringthe season.

I do everything a bit more carefully round Tango when she is in season- she doesn'tget too marish, but i know that I like to be treated a bit gentler some times of the month, so why shouldn't she!

I hope that helped. By the way, i have just deleted your identical thread under the general section to prevent confusion!

bye!

Yes, mares do not have seasons when they in winter. A horse's pregnancy is 11 months, and if you bred a mare in February, the foal would be born in January. Now if you were in the wild, how much change does a foal have when it's born in the middle of a snow storm? It would freeze from being wet, or die from the cold. So that's why mares don't go into heat in the winter! :)

Actually, I must disagree with that last statement. Although a lot of mares do not come into season during the winter, a proportion of them do. Thoroughbreds have their 'official' birthday on the 1st January so thorougbred breeders aim to get their mares to foal as close to that date as possible. Mares with abnormal cycles come into season all the time. As i said before, a change of enviroment or even companions can make a mare come into season even in the depths of winter. My mare used to come into season every time we went hunting!

Yes, I agree with Sharon H. My mare was in season the beginning of this week and when I mentioned this to my Vet he told me that mares are quite likely to be in season all year round now, especially if they are stabled and kept warm and fed well. That is certainly true of Shade.

She tends to be much more temperamental when in season and I'm much more alert when I do anything with her. She also can have total mind blowout when in season but not every time!

Mares - don't you just love them?

Judy

newrider.com