Horse, Hormones and Livery Yards!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Take a few humans
Add a few horses
Place onto livery yard

Mix well until blended in

Add another new livery (returning to horses)

Mix well until the fireworks start, sit back and wonder why!!!

Add yet another livery, who ignores everything and doesn't get picked on.

Are some humans just unable to NOT interefere with how othr people choose to keep their horse. It's almost resorting on bullying in that livery is thinking of leaving.

It seems that some people just can't help themselves:mad: I find it on a lot of yards...
I'd be surprised if the new livery hasn't been put off horse ownership:(.. Recent months, I've been feeling like I just want to get shut of my two, as too much hassle (one interfering busy body) and equipment keeps being "borrowed" and not always put back:mad:

Some livery yards are absolutely ridiculous!!

The number of people, my brother for one, who are not invovled in horses, but are shocked by how bad it is telling!!

I am delighted where I am at the moment. The YO and I get on well, the other liveries apart are great.

Its the catty comments and digs that get me!!

Jen
x

She's a returning rider and only had horse twelve months. She's not thick or stupid but for some reason this is the person who gets picked on.

I think horse ownership can almost be as bitchy as the fashion industry!!

I have a motto, if it doesn't effect me or my pony, keep out of it.

Thing is it's someone's pride and joy, how much it cost is no one else's business, what you do or don't do is no one else's business.

Being nervous IS ok, why is being nervous such a bad thing us brits get great pleasure is taking the mick and putting down.

i'm glad i only livery with one other girl...... not moments, no hassle, peace and quiet.

I've done larger livery yards and everyone can be lovely face to face, you can go out of your way to help people and refuse to join in the bitchyness but some how you still end up with egg on your face!

I enjoy my hermit lifestyle far too much now:eek::D

Might not be relevant, but I did a 'Presentation skills' course this week, and some quite interesting learnings - i.e. if a group of people are talking (when you're presenting) how to deal with it:

1) Look at them, but don't focus on them - just gaze at them as if waiting for them to finish, looking interested but emotionally blank, while everyone waits for them to finish
2) Stride over saying 'that sounds like a really interesting suggestion, would you like to share it with everyone else?' and 'invite' them to explain what they've been whispering about.

IE. Make these fools realise that their stupid games are exactly that - if they are embarrassed to repeat what they've said they will realise it is pathetic and that makes them pathetic by association - of course it isn't a work situation but the social principles apply...

Might not be relevant, but I did a 'Presentation skills' course this week, and some quite interesting learnings - i.e. if a group of people are talking (when you're presenting) how to deal with it:

1) Look at them, but don't focus on them - just gaze at them as if waiting for them to finish, looking interested but emotionally blank, while everyone waits for them to finish
2) Stride over saying 'that sounds like a really interesting suggestion, would you like to share it with everyone else?' and 'invite' them to explain what they've been whispering about.

IE. Make these fools realise that their stupid games are exactly that - if they are embarrassed to repeat what they've said they will realise it is pathetic and that makes them pathetic by association - of course it isn't a work situation but the social principles apply...

That may just work as they will never mention anything to me, but you get wind of it. With my memory i've forgotten what goes on.

Think other reason is to get a rise from the livery as knows it upsets her/annoys whereas me i say, oh right really, changing subject, how interesting.

They must have bored lives if i'm the talk of the yard!

I LOVE my livery yard, It has only me on it (Although I can get into the biggest arguments with myself :p) .........Actually that makes me sound like some sort of terrible recluse :eek:

I really like my livery yard although I do think some of the more 'serious' people think I'm a little mad. Doing loads of ground work, playing, spending hours grooming Izzy, talking to him all the time... I'm sure some of them kind of think 'Bless, she's new to horses'.

But they are very supportive, always offering to help if needed.

There probably is some bitchiness that goes on but I'm too caught up in my lovely horsey world to either notice or care!:p

Newforest, you could be talking about my livery yard! There are a few people who, every so often, (and today was one of them) will decide to tell other liveries how to look after their horses, although the horses are totally fine anyway, and the owners are experienced enough themselves. They've even complained about certain things so trivial that we now have new rules in place. I can't believe people are so petty, to be honest, and think they know so much that they can get away with telling others what to do who are just as experienced! They haven't cornered me yet, but I'm sure its just a matter of time....:rolleyes: I'm on a very busy yard and most others are lovely to be honest.

I think there are people in life who always seemed to get picked on. I used to one of them at senior school but finally stuck up for myself and swore never again. :mad:

I'd be very interested to see how people might pick on me now? Other peoples thoughts don't really bother me unless they are good friends who have proven themselves and been allowed in to make a difference.

Everyone will always have opinions about what's best, it's only natural and I know I do about their choices, but it's water off a ducks back because I know I think long and hard about my decisions and have come up with what works. If there's something I'm not sure on then I'll ask those I respect.

A good friend of mine was very upset by comments from someone on her yard. As time has gone by she has seen that this person desrves no respect as the way she is with her horse is polar opposit of what my friend wants for hers. That intefering lady is a good barometre of what not to do with horses so if she says one thing, do the opposit and you'll be right! :p

Very sad that people feel the need to behave in such way as to make someone else miserable.:mad:

I can't bear bullies, and if I was there I would be telling certain people a few home truths, I don't like confrontation at all but wouldn't be able to look the other way.

Hope this gets sorted out.

livery yards are horrid. i will never, ever, ever use one again! my horses were miserable, their welfare was compromised and the livery charges were a rip off!! i don't think it matters if you keep your head down, if the yard clique want to start on you, they will. the people i saw standing up for themselves got thrown off the yard. So glad i don't have to tolerate all that cr*p anymore!

There's always some kind of drama on my yard! Not bitchiness necessarily, but somethings always happened to so and so, or so and so's horse has just done this, that or the other!

It always seems to happen just before I arrive though! I just see the aftermath! :D

I'm moving to my friends in April/May though, as soon as her new stables are built, so hopefully all will be calm! I can't see too many drama's happening with 3 people and 2 horses...at least I hope not!! :eek: :D

That sounds a bit rotten ............ it's alright getting advice off people if you've actually asked for it, but not if you haven't. Horse ownership is meant to be fun.

I hope it sorts itself out, could the YO not have a word with the perpetrators and ask them to back off?

I can totally empathise, as thats what Ive come from on two yards.

Where we are is BLISS. Just me, madam and little one - no interfereing, no bitching and above all peace and quiet :D

newrider.com