Horse for sale question

Walkn'HorseLuvr

Jun 18, 2007
USA
Been awhile, here's a question:

When a horse is for sale and it says, "requires some vet maintance" to keep him at his full potential, is that ok? It doesn't sound too problematic, though don't know what it is exactly they refer to.

That phrase sounds rather subjective to me and open to interpretation.

I'd be asking the person that placed the ad :eek:

It would be a concern to me. I'd want to know what the underlying problem is and will it get worse, exactly much vet maintenance was required and how much it costs per month for example. It may be something simple but could also be something that could leave you with an unrideable horse in the future.

If you have the time and money then ok ask some questions, but otherwise what showjumper said "walk away"!!!

are you rich? and do you want a pet? if the answers are yes then go and see the horse if not move on to something that has a sound leg at each corner.

Those would be the ords I would use to describe Skippy. Much as I love him I would say walk away. It's too much heartache and stress. Thankfully Skips has come right but nobody knows how long for and how much he will ever be abe to do!

You need to talk to the owners, could be something like daily bute that i personally depending on what you want to do with the horse would'nt find a problem, or could be something a lot more expensive, in which case i would'nt touch.

There is no way I'd get a horse that needs more than normal vet attention. Twice a year visits is expensive enough as it is. Better ring them up and ask what they mean by that.

Walk away! There's something about the way he's standing that I don't like and the wording "extremely broke"...in more ways than one?

at least they are honest ;)

i think he has a lovely face :)

ild call them and ask whats wrong with him, untill you know that you cant judge him IMO :)

It's in an college auction that the sale takes place in April. But, I already emailed them to see, but I think i'll do as u say and "walk away". Especially since i'm a beginner-ish and this would be my first horse.
There's a mare (i know mares aren't the best for beginners) that says is a "been there done that " horse, good for beginner or kids horse etc. and says can clip, bathe, load, etc so sounds good, but i don't know since she's a mare. http://mccequine.com/events/Horsedescriptions/Ebbydescription.htm

my gut feeling would be a a no!

if it actually says VET attention its not something you can manage yourself (like sweet itch or a horse prone to laminitis). it could be that it needs bute to be ridden :confused:

Julia
x

dont not look at a horse because its a mare, or even a stallion!

chances are if they are slightly temperamentle when they are in season it is only a couple of days and the rest of the time you will have a great horse!
my mare isnt even slightly stroppy when she is in season shes the same all year round- shes always highly strung!

you will regret it if the gelding you settle on isnt as great ;)

Definately stay clear of that gelding.. would be a huge waste of money. "Extremely broke" is such an odd way to describe a horse lol I think they need to re-word their add! He has such a sweet face though :(

I must be a sucker for a sweet face, plus he's got a beautifully soft gentle eye. Looks like he's been around the block a few times perhaps.

Before you cross him off the list, ask yourself some questions:
obv the first being to the current owner as what the advert means exactly!
what do you need him to be able to do? Are you at the happy trail-rider stage, or do you dream of barrel racing?
What skills do you have to take to him (ie will he teach you more than you can teach him?)

The point I make here is not to write him off immediatley. Be realisitic of what you need and what he may well offer.

So far i've only seen one comment on that mare i mentioned lastly . Thanks looppy! It's true that each horse is an individual. Check the ad out and read it for yourselves. It sounds really good for a beginner owner and rider that you look for in a first horse.

Yes, i did say i am a beginner and never had lessons, however i've ridden for years.

newrider.com