Horse eating poo?

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
Got to the yard last night, called Roxy and she started wandering over - but stopped half way, sniffed a pile of poo that looked VERY interesting and then started eating it :frown: :unsure:

Once I got to her, I opened her mouth as best I could to get some of it out and lots fell out, but there were still big balls of it in her mouth. She was NOT happy I didn't want her eating it and she kept trying to go for more.

The mares have been moved to new field today as they have been in the old field (where she ate the poo) a long time so there isn't much grass, however it's not a starvation paddock and that is plenty for them to graze on (she was happily grazing this morning before I moved her).

Why is she eating poo? I put it down to another horse not digesting their feed properly so she could smell bits of it & that was tasty enough to put up with the manure it was mixed up in.

Is it likely to cause any damage? All horses are wormed up to date which is something YO is very strict on (he buys in our wormers and makes sure everybody takes theirs).

I don't give her any feed at all; she only grazes as she is a very good doer. Is this my downfall and a strong hint that maybe she does need something on a daily basis?

Only reason I heard for them eating poo is that they are lacking in a vitamin or mineral. Not sure if that is the only reason though.

Only reason I heard for them eating poo is that they are lacking in a vitamin or mineral. Not sure if that is the only reason though.

this is what i got told when toby went through his poo eating phase. a broad spectrum supplement should help :)

newrider.com