HOrse Critique! Pictures!! C'mon all of ya! :-)

jumper-4-joy

I luv Ash!!!
Oct 21, 2005
California, USA
Hey,
Well, I have posted a few threads about horses that I have looked at to buy. None have worked so far, but I think I might have found one!!!

She is a TB/Trahkener cross. 6yrs old, 16 hands. Registered. Started as a 3 yr old,was to be the owners eventer, and about a year ago the owner stopped training her consistently, but gets on every now and again and schoools her bareback!This sounds perfect, as I want a horse that I can trust.
Excellent ground manners. Asking $5000

Here are some pics. When I first saw them, she looked quite dull. Nothing very special. But, with her temperment I think that she is a definite diamond in the rough. In the 3rd-5th pictures, I can see she has a nice shoulder and neck, and is very willing. She seems to be built uphill, with a medium length back and wither higher than croup. Perfect for a dressage/jumping horse?? I think she just needs consistent work and a LOT of muscle.

So, go ahead and critique (be honest, be harsh if necessary)!! I am trying to get a video showing her movement.

(click to enlarge)
Aurora1.jpg

Aurora2.jpg

Aurora3.jpg

Aurora4.jpg

Hey,shes lovely,she needs alot of development in her neck,lunging with side reins and hill therapy would be very beneficial, she looks suitable for jumping and dressage if you further her training, you should be able to take her on trial for $5000 to get a better feel for her maybe practise some jumping and dressage, i would try and pay a bit less because she hasnt done much (inconsistant training) maybe $4700? hope ive been a bit helpful!! good luck,tell us how you get on???:D:D:D

Thanks for the reply! Yes, she does need a lot of muscle!! Yes I was hoping of getting a trial, and paying a little cheaper than the asking for price. I have asked a couple people for a trial on other horses, but they said no. Maybe for this one I will look up the laws and liability issues and get a contract all written up.

Any more? Critique of conformation? Anything? (Working on getting a video!):)

I agree, a trial is a good idea. If she says no, ask if you can ride her or try her out-- like over the time of a week? I did that when I bought my TB. I love the soft look in her eye, and it doesn't really matter if she's dull looking. With a bit of fattening and muscling up, she'll be gorgeous. She has some nice conformation, IMO, but with some muscle it'll really bring it out.

Later, I'll post some before and after pictures of my TB. He was my unpolished gem, that REALLY transformed after we just fed him, and worked him a lot. We actually bought him for $1500, and he's my eventer. Getting a bit on in age now, he's 16, but he's an amazing SJ. You should ask what she's been taught, and how she's been trained up until now? Also, how are her ground manners? ;) We actually lowered Chance's price due to his owners really wanting to get rid of him before the winter (one less mouth to feed), and the fact that he was already underfed, and, to put it nicely, he had VERY crappy ground manners. I was exhausted by the time he was tacked up. :p

She looks like a calm, and sweet girl. I second your opinion. A diamond in the rough, that just needs a bit of polish and time to shine. :cool: Tell us what happens!! :D

I called the owner,asked questions, and these are the responses that I got:

ground manners-excellent
stand while mounting-yes
lazy or energetic- energetic (rated 6 on 1-10 scale with 1 being lazy)
spooky?-not really, normal for age and amount of training
spurs?-no, very sensitive to aids (YES! just what I am looking for!):D
training in saddle?- walk/trot/canter leg yielding. needs work in bending, I think it is just alot of muscle that is needed (see pics)
bit-snaffle
out of arena?- never been on trail, but rode alone in big field (with scary cows on other side of fence) and after looked at stuff was fine. Spooks in place or with a little jump. Never runs off or bucks or gets dangerous.
herd bound?- no
in season?-can definitely tell, is a little more high strung, but not dangerous
yes, gets along with other horses

She bought her from a well reputable trainer that had 3 other similar horses for sale. Trainer said this was the best mare for what she was looking for (eventing)

She has been jumped before. Up to 2 ft (highest owner could go-beginner rider) and seemed to like it. She got very excited, did not buck but sorta shook head. The owner trusts her COMPLETELY.

So, what do you think now? She is asking 5000, and I know this is a little too much (?- is registered as well). How much do you think she is worth?

SHE IS GOING TO TRY TO SEND A VIDEO NEXT WEEK!! :D

Thanks!:D

Last edited:
she seems really sweet, but a word of caution. an undernourished horse can be a lot calmer and lack energy. once you get her home and settled, well fed and fit her nature may change a lot. Iwould be wary of buying a very unfit horse if the calmness of her nature is very important to you

newrider.com