horse conjunctivitis? anyone know of this cream?

anna15

anna15
Feb 18, 2007
west yorkshire
my pony has developed some sort of conjunctivitis from another pony. we have tried cleaning with salt water and using broline this week, but seen no improvment. so think we are going to call out the vet.

but my friends pony had the vet out who gave her some cream began with ch.. and had an x thrown in some where lol but apart from that no idea:rolleyes: she said it turned flourecent yellow/green when it went in the ponies eye. anyone know of it?

if so my mum will buy some if available over counter, otherwise im going to ring vet first thing in the morning.

this post is abit hopeless i know,:rolleyes: but worth a try.
thanks for reading

Chloramphenicol is used quite often for eye infections. AFAIK it doesn't turn fluorescent green but vets do use stuff with fluorescin in to check the eyes to make sure it is just conjunctivitis and not something worse like an ulcer. I guess it would be possible to add fluorescin to chloramphenicol so maybe it was something with both in. It is possible to buy human chloramphenicol drops and they do work on horses but best to at least talk to vet first since eyes are not something to be messed with.

Sounds like fleuroscein ointment was put into the eye, this 'stains' the cornea a yellow colour and allows the vet to assess whether there's an abrasion present .

There is an eye ointment known as chloramphenicol which can be bought over-the-counter, but i doubt they'll sell it for equine use! TBH if it were me I'd ask the vet to have a look, eyes can be tricky things to treat.

oops! cross post!

yeah your probably right, i thought maybe that because it went florecent it was like unique or something lol:rolleyes: but obviously not. il just ring the vet see what they say.
thank you:)

I swear by Golden Eye drops - you can buy them at the chemist.

Yes I agree there - friend of mine used it too - if it safe on humans, then you also know it will be safe on the horse. Much cheaper than having the vet out.

Not neccesarily.. not everything that is used on humans is safe on horses, Golden Eye drops can be used on cat and dogs..... Vet should be called for anything that might harm the horse in the long run...Im sure Anna15 doesnt want to end up with a horse with sight problems because one person said anything used for people is also safe for horses. Conjunctivitis is an infection, and normal eye drops will not get rid of the infection, they are only to stop irritation, ie, if horse got a bit of dust/hay in the eye and this made it sore, then the eye drops will only wash it out.... and soothe the eye surface..it wont treat infection! Only a POM will do that, and you will have to see the vet for the right stuff.

If anything OPTREX IS safe for use on horses. Salt water is no longer used by vets as sometimes the salt doesnt melt properly, then you face leaving a grain of salt in the eye, they now prefer to use boiled water, and no cotton wool, just kitchen towel

I use tea bags to clean the eye and golden eye from chemist,but do have a chat with the vet in case he's scratched his eye,or as already suggested,has an ulcer. Eyes are funny things.

if she has it pretty bad she will probably need something antibiotic based , which will most certainly require a vet visit to obtain it , which given that salt water & brolene haven't helped i think it sounds like you are heading that way

i agree with what julz said re human medicines , not all are appropriate , a vet nurse friend of mine usually tells me what to use & what not , anyway , especially as this is your pony's eye i would go with the vet visit

i do know of a vets that covers hx that does 'zone days' with no callout fee for none emergency work , pm me if you want details

my pony used to have quite bad conjunctivitis, i had the vet out for her on 2 different occasions who prescribed fucithalmic, this worked for a small while, but re-occurred. we then tried opticrom as we thought it was more of an allergy, these did not work either. i then tried golden eye and it was the best of all of them and only cost £4 with no re-occurrence.
I understand not all horses will respond in the same way, but this is what worked for my pony.

Human chloramphenicol drops will work and I've checked the ingredients against the treatments that are meant to be used for horses :) Can be bought at pharmacy as long as you have your story straight about your 'friend' that has conjunctivitis ;) Not that I'm suggesting anyone does that :) It really is best to call your vet.

If the vet is concerned that the eye is ulcered they put a dye in the eye that turns it flourescent yellow/green but it is not something they would leave you with to use, was it just a one off? if so it might have been that.

You have to be carefull with eyes so personally I would get it checked.

My horse had an eye infection in the summer and his tear duct got blocked and had to be cleared by the vets - that wasnt very nice but the infection wouldnt clear up as the drops couldnt get into the infection to cure it.

Does he have tears down his face or does it have custard in it ?? - sorry growse description but thats just what it looks like! :p

newrider.com