horse box 3.5

paynel

Liam N Pen Pen
Jul 22, 2003
Dudley
equestrian-angel.com
Hey just wondering if anyone has any advise my dad is a mechanic and works in the trade he has given me a 95 reg ford transit cab without a back on....to my knowlegde you can put a horse box onto it...bolt on or sumthing? Does anyone know if they have different types of bolts on or different sizes? and where i could pick one up second hand? also if its the same as a trailer and the heaviest horse always goes on the drivers side? thanks

Hey just wondering if anyone has any advise my dad is a mechanic and works in the trade he has given me a 95 reg ford transit cab without a back on....to my knowlegde you can put a horse box onto it...bolt on or sumthing? Does anyone know if they have different types of bolts on or different sizes? and where i could pick one up second hand? also if its the same as a trailer and the heaviest horse always goes on the drivers side? thanks

Oh bad subject this as scribbler has one though older darn starter went on it tonight:eek:going to take box to garage so willl have a bit nose then.
The cab is 20years old box bit 25..can shake a bit on corners..

Ifor Williams do one to fit.

Getting a 2nd hand one might be more difficult - have a look on ebay.

How big are your horses? If small then you may be able to get a body which is stalled herringbone.

sorry its not 1995 its 1992.. im glad i got my dad as a mechanic only pay him for parts lol not labour hehe. My horse is bout 15.1hh fine tb... would only really be travelling her and sometimes my friends 14.2hh welsh cob m/w... what do you mean by stalled herringbone?

what do you mean by stalled herringbone?

The Iw containers have a back ramp and a front small side ramp. The horses stand facing forwards.

Other containers just have a back ramp and the horses are turned (180degrees approx) when on the lorry so they stand more or less across the width of the body, same as larger lorries.

o yes i understand...yeah which is better do you reckon? I have thought about this , because if i have one horse heavier then mine wont the box slightly tilt to the oneside if there facing forward? but if the box is side loading as they go in and then turn them like in a normal lorry, this balances the weight out across the box do you reckon?

As major studies show (from the Edinburgh Vet school) horses travel best facing backwards. Next favourable is herringbone facing the kerb. Next was herringbone facing the middle of the road and worst of all was facing forwards!

As far as weight distribution in transport is concerned, if they are forward facing then the single horse or heavier of a pair should travel on the right side of the vehicle to have the weight on the upside of the road camber.

Standing them herringbone does make more sense for more even weight distribution. Do make sure that the horse is standing at enough of an angle to allow him enough room. In a narrower box ie a van as oppose to a lorry the angle of partitions will need to be steeper to allow the necessary length of horse.

I think your chances of getting a 15.1 on a transit herringbone are nil - they're just not wide enough. Herringbone doesn't spread the weight as much as you'd think either as the hind feet are much closer to the edge of the box than the front feet, which still puts more weight on one side of the box.

Transits tend to work on forward facing travel rather than rear facing. Not sure if there's a specific weight distribution reason for that though. The heaviest horse always goes behind the driver as that compensates somewhat for the camber of the road.

If you're thinking of travelling both horses you've put in this thread though, check your weight limits. I'd certainly not put that combination in my 3.5 tonne box as it would almost certainly take it over weight limit. You need to check both the total weight and axel weight, especially where the horses are over the rear axel as they would be on a transit base.

Herringbone doesn't spread the weight as much as you'd think either as the hind feet are much closer to the edge of the box than the front feet, which still puts more weight on one side of the box.

1. The weight distribution is more even cos horses are heavier over their front ends by nature.

2. Granted the hind feet are closer to the edge of the box - on the camber 'high' side.

newrider.com