Horse behaviour Video Footage-Its Not All Pretty Is It?

Jees, that is shocking. But at least it was a quick end for the foal.

I think I read that the stallion was not the foal's father; in which case it is unsurprising. Many sorts of male animals kill young not their own if they can catch them.

No he was from another herd, but the person who filmed was equally shocked.

I guess it all depends on their character-our stallion would kill any of the geldings because all the mares are "his". Even my cob who isn't part of his herd, she is part of his territory. She is a mare.
He would mate with his offspring because he wouldn't know they were, or care?

Some stallions will kill foals whether they are ill or not. Some stallions cannot be allowed out with their mares and foals.

They will kill their own foals. You have to be very careful. It had nothing to do with the foal being injured.

Some stallions will kill foals whether they are ill or not. Some stallions cannot be allowed out with their mares and foals.

They will kill their own foals. You have to be very careful. It had nothing to do with the foal being injured.

Good grief, Wally, really? Why would they do that? It's not very Darwinian, is it? :unsure:

I kinda wish I hadnt watched that now, I hate nature stuff - like when Lions kill ! poor little bubba

I saw a show about monkeys and the boss monkey (no idea what the appropriate name is) would kill the off spring from another male monkey - but not his own.

I love that Cloud/Mustang series on PBS but I agree with Wally and Jane: I don't think the stallion killed the foal to help it. That was a bit anthropomorphizing

Good grief, Wally, really? Why would they do that? It's not very Darwinian, is it? :unsure:

I have no idea why they do it, but it's well known.

My heart is in my mouth with a new stallion we don't know when he first goes out with mares and foals. You never know. HE could rampage through and kill every one of your foals.

Personally I would never breed from such a horse.

This is how a good stallion ought to be with his foals.
may007336copyj.jpg

:inlove:Indy:inlove:

Well, now I understand why they say "Runs with his mares and foals". Up till now I have always thought, "Well, yes?"

So if a stallion can't "run with"-does that tell the potential client more about its character, or just some people don't do it due to the risks.

I wonder if the foal in footage was a colt? We have riggy chap on our yard who makes it clear to all other males to back off.

So if a stallion can't "run with"-does that tell the potential client more about its character, or just some people don't do it due to the risks.

I wonder if the foal in footage was a colt? We have riggy chap on our yard who makes it clear to all other males to back off.

Some stallions are so badly treated that they never see another horse, only cover mares in hand, when they see a herd they have no idea how to behave.

Some mares are just as violent towards a stallion and they can break his leg or put his wedding tackle out of order for good, so some stallion owners won't risk their boys out with a bunch of witchy mares.

That stallion was not helping he was being a stallion/colt and killing the foal because that's what some stallions do.

What about stallions that can see and hear other horses but can't ineract with them? That must be horribly frustrating? There was one on a yard I was on - he lived in a stable block near all the others but when he was turned out it was a tiny individual paddock. He was a very angry person and a lot of the staff were afraid of him.

a lot of the livery yards for the higher priced horses have those individual turnout paddocks (so the $50,000 horse doesn't get kicked by another, etc.).
Since Minnie only stayed for a few weeks at the dressage barn I was quite happy with that solution. She still could make friends over the fence and run and roll - but the potential for injury was much less.
I don't think individual turnout like that makes horses angry and dangerous.
Maybe he was in individual turnout because he was already angry and dangerous. I wouldn't want my horse exposed to potential harm.

I always assumed it was like lions who would kill another lions cubs.
Our eldest dog who stood at stud for many years has tried to kill many pups that he has had the chance to get near.
Yet he is the gentlest softest dog in general.

a lot of the livery yards for the higher priced horses have those individual turnout paddocks (so the $50,000 horse doesn't get kicked by another, etc.).
Since Minnie only stayed for a few weeks at the dressage barn I was quite happy with that solution. She still could make friends over the fence and run and roll - but the potential for injury was much less.
I don't think individual turnout like that makes horses angry and dangerous.
Maybe he was in individual turnout because he was already angry and dangerous. I wouldn't want my horse exposed to potential harm.

Sorry I was not saying that indivudual turnout makes horses angry and dangerous!!!!! I MEANT IN A STALLION SENSE - not geldings or mares - and I also meant long-term. I am sure your Minnie didn't turn into a monster fro
short term individual paddocking!

LOL no that's not what I thought you meant.
A lot of horses there are in a long term livery situation and I think individual paddocks are a great option if you are worried about your horse getting hurt by others or others hurting your horse -regardless of sex.
I will find an old study that I read about what kind of interaction or lack of interaction was detrimental to a horse's (psychological) wellbeing. Be back as soon as I find it.
Basically what I remember from it though was that they didn't have to have close body contact, etc.

I guess any animal can kill its offspring, the mare can reject the baby and it dies. But-i have to say i leant a little towards the foal having a problem and the mare knows so ignores.
Not all mares want a foal. Why should they I don't want kids. I guess we really don't know what went through their mind at that second.

newrider.com