Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Yes, I have more than one dog

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LBrider

Nov 7, 2010
Suffolk
I've become very curious about how many peeps who own horses have dogs (or even people who ride at RS or share or whatever.) Nearly all of my horse owning pals have at least one dog so would be interesting to see the results on here

So, a little poll m'hearties, and would be nice to know what sort of dogs you all have, and more importantly, how they get on with the neddies - have they always been best pals or was there ever any jealousy or suspicion between them?

I have 2 dogs and 2 1/2 horses/ponies. Dogs have always really ignored the horses, horses generally have ignored the dogs, if they have took any notice of the dogs its been the first few times they've seen them but soon learnt not to be bothered by them. I like having them together. In the field I will ride with the dogs around, the aim eventually is to get the lab to be able to come out hacking with us and on beach and forest rides.

We have a norfolk terrrier/Jack russell who has been round the horses since she was a puppy. She mainly ignores them, occasionally tries to run after them when they are messing around in the field, but she still hasn't learnt to stay clear of the feet.:banghead:

Technically not a dog owner myself, but family have dogs and I consider them still mine (as I only moved out three years ago). I put 'no' but would love my own little cardigan corgi dog (thats the breed the FM clan subscribe to and have done for the last 30 odd years. I can't afford one, and wouldn't want him/ her to be left at home alone all day. Just have to wait until I'm older and richer.

Yep 1 dog and 1 horse. Zaradog is scared of all horses and won't come near any of them at the yard. In a way it's good because I know she should never get in the way and get kicked ... I hate dogs that are in and out if horses legs, I always worry there will be an accident... The drawback is I can't really take her on a ride with me which is a shame as we're on an estate and have no roadwork so it's v safe. She just tries to run back to the stables/car all the time so not really doable.

I did until she got very old and she had to be PTS, quite a few years ago now. I used to drop her up at my Mum and Dad's every day so she wouldn't be by herself, and then pick her up in the evening. On top of the horses, it was another job, so I wouldn't do it again - not that I would have been without her for the world.

We do have a working sheep dog, but he is out with OH working all day, so doesn't need to be walked. Wouldn't fancy having to do that on top of everything else!

I don't have a horse at the minute but I do have one dog. When I had a horse he was useless around them! He just thought horses were big dogs to play with! :rolleyes:

We have Ruby, black lab. She used to be fine around the horses until William (5m weanling) lashed out when she got too close on the day he arrived. He caught her on the jaw and she had a very small cut that didn't need veterinary treatment however, it has put her right off horses and now on the rare occasion we drag her to the yard she skulks around and keeps well out of their way. Joey charges at dogs anyway so we just don't bother taking Ruby any more as she doesn't seem to enjoy wandering around and sniffing like she used to. It's a shame, but on the other hand I think I'd rather have her scared than walking amongst them.

Albi used to run at her from behind, she'd feel the earth move as he was coming and cower and the little sod would leap OVER her! :redcarded: Poor Rubes....

Always had 2 collies, until 3 years ago when I was given a Lab. He ignores the horses. My collies' job was to move the horses along , keep them off the fences and generally keep them in order.

I have a minature schnauzer who is scared of horses. She doesn't see them that often, but there are a few that hack around the village and her party trick is to jump over the nearest garden wall to hide!

Not a huge problem really as I don't have the horse to match, but have started getting her to walk past horses grazing without panicking.

We have two dogs. My English Springer Spaniel Molly originally ignored the horses but now is respectful since Ziggy bit her - he more or less picked her up by the scruff! - because she was running around when he was trying to eat.

My OH's Welsh Springer Peri is a very sensitive flower, afraid of everything with four legs, so she won't even come within 50 metres of a horse. Which is a real pain because I would love to take them out on hacks :stomp:

I have 4 black labs, 3 horses..(i think I should even it up lol)

My horses are good with the dogs and vice versa, Sam loves to hack out with the dogs, in fact he is a better ride when the dogs comes too.

When I do the ponies in the morning, I normally take the dogs and as soon as the horses see the dogs (way before I am there) they come running, knowing I am on my way:happy:

The are bad stories too though, one of my dogs got kicked in the head by a pony a few years ago, for nothing, it just ran at her as she was sat in the field by the edge so I would always be careful.

Did anyone see the Countryfile special last night? Nice to have a program dedicated to Dogs and Horses:happy:

Only one dog and three horses and four chickens.

We only have a wee house otherwise I would have at least two dogs.

My husband puts his foot firmly down about adding other dogs/pets. You can't blame him lol as he has to pick up all the bills. He can not control me over pony buying. He did not want Summer, but I badgered the life out of him, he still said NO but hayho I bought her anyway and now he loves her. She is definitely his horse and goes all gooey when he turns up, much to his delight:giggle:

TBH if it was left to him and my son we would have no pets or horses.

Life would be very dull. They do actually love the pants off all of them.

Sometimes I yell at the top of my voice (and it can be loud lol god knows what the neighbours think, but I don't give a shit really) "Thats it! I am gonna sell the lot!" it has a very profound effect. The last 'row' we had my husband said he was not going to pay the mortgage anymore....ok fine whatever.... I said to him "what will happen to Megan?" he crumpled in a heap of thought. I didn't speak to him for a few hours or maybe 24, then I said to him, " find someone at work who will take the dowg", more crumpling ensued. He replied eventually " I have paid the mortgage" we just fell about laughing. People it seems are one thing, our livestock another:smile:

Last edited:
I haven't answered the poll as none of the categories applies! I would love a dog but my poor OH used to be allergic to them - despite being allergy tested at the local hospital. He has asthma, that is under control by long term meds and I know this probably sounds silly but I am so afraid of setting it off. If I did it may well make him ill around the horses - so if it ain't broke then don't fix it...
Shame cos I would love one and it would have a job to do down here - as we often have stray sheep to round up - either on foot or by quad and it can get a bit tiring!!

What about a poodle trews? They are not the lap dogs folkes make them out to be. I do understand though, it would not be nice to have to get one and then let it go.

Another thing, my YO who is not my YO anymore (land left to kids) has three sheep dogs and keeps them outside in the barn. They even have their own sofa

3 horses, 2 dogs.

I have a collie and a staffyXlab (both rescue dogs). They are respectful around horses, never get too close to their legs but happily run around their paddock chasing a ball. The horses ignore them too. They have always been good with each other, which makes life easier!

There are yard dogs who chase the horses, i noticed one attempting to chase mine the other day - the horses just stood and ignored him thankfully!

I take the dogs on hacks sometimes, but mostly when i have my OH walking with us. The horses are very good and ignore them, the dogs know to get out of the way.

The collie however is very sensitive and doesnt like horses cantering, he feels unsafe and usually hides under my car if he hears a horse cantering in a paddock.

newrider.com