Horrible Accident! Pregnant Lady!

Kizza07

Manure Happens.
Apr 26, 2007
NSW Australia
The scariest most horrible thing just happened.

please read all of this, it is horrifying!:eek:

We are currently looking for a perfect first horse for my brother and my mother. My brother wants to do pony club with me and my mum just wants to be able to trot around the paddock (they both currently have to wait until I have finished working Kenny!):)

We found a horse only and hour away, he was a 16.3hh 14 year old dark bay QHxTB gelding. The lady who was selling him, said to us that he was her first horse and that she had bought him in april this year, but now she is pregnant to her boyfriend (keep oin mind she is also young, in her early 20's).

So we got our loyal friend (equine therapist and world championships rider) to be our experienced rider (even though after owning 5 horses, and are kind of experienced!)

We got there and the horse had just had his hooves done. He was very sweaty and very alert. I felt that something was wrong.

The lady said that she would just pop the saddle on and show us how well he goes and then we could hop on!

They put on the saddle and he started to spin around in circles while they did up the girth. I really started to worry that he wasnt going to be any good and we basically said that we wouldnt take a horse like that.

She got a boost up (no helmet), she kicked him and he jumped. She kicked again and he reared a little. She kicked again and he jumped again. She kicked again and he reared, sat on his bum and flipped over onto her.:eek: The cantle of the saddle crunched in to her stomach and the pommel (it was a western saddle with a horn) the horn dug into her chest. He got up and took off. 5 people (including my mother and our friend), rushed over to the limp lady.

I rushed off to catch the horse because he was going belistic in the paddock. I didnt want their expensive saddle getting wrecked or the horse caught in a fence.

I stopped because mum asked me to wait, she didnt want another accident to happen.

My mum called the ambulance, and I ran to the front gate to guide the ambulance off the highway and to the lady. 1 ambulance came and i ran in front to guide them to the paddock. When they got there she was screaming "my baby my baby" SHE WAS 6MONTHS PREGNANT!

The ambulance couldnt get her on a stretcher as she was in so much pain. He gassed her and put her on a machine to tell them her heart beat and pulse.
Her lower back was hurting her and her ankle was hurting, her stomach was cramping and her hip and pelvis were sore.

The cramping stopped and she calmed a little bit.

They called another ambulance and a helicopter.

After a bit more gas another ambulance cam and i again guided them to her. Meanwhile i had to look after a 4 year old girl and a 2 year old girl.

They had to cut off her boot on the sore leg and said that her ankle was definately fractured. She may have broken her pelvis and spine.

They finally got her on a stretcher with much screaming and crying.

They put her in and left. The helicopter had to pick her up from the hospital instead of the paddock as they were running late.

We took the kids to a park for some chips as they were brilliantly behaved. they sat under a tree. The 4yo looking after the 2yo for me while I helped.

We called to ask how she was (her boyfriend wasnt there and neither were her parents)

SHE WASNT EVEN MEANT TO BE RIDING!!!

We got hold of her boyfriends best friend who said that the baby was checked by a scan and the baby was fine! THANK GOD!

She is off in the Sydney hospital now and we are going to call tonight to see how she is andwhether there is any more damage other than her ankle.

We hope she is okay. She said while lying on the ground that she was glad that it happened to her and not my brother. AND SHE APOLOGISED!!! FOR WHAT?

We are hoping to go see her when she is back from the Sydney hospital (6 hours away) and when the family has quietened down.

it was just such a sad day. It scared me soooo much.

The horse wont be living much longer we dont think as the boyfriend wasnt very happy. (BTW it did end up caught and untacked and released)

We found out that it was napping as they had moved it from its regular paddock last night and his old paddock with his other horsey friends were down the road.

the end!!:eek:

What an awful experience to have to go through. I am glad that the baby is ok and I hope the lady and baby are going to be ok.

However........

The horse wont be living much longer we dont think as the boyfriend wasnt very happy. (BTW it did end up caught and untacked and released)

This concerns me:eek: Acciedents happen with horses and this horse was showing signs of there being something wrong and IMO the lady should have read the horse better. I don't believe this is entirely the horses fault unless of course he had a history of this behaviour, he was clearly stressed by your description of the events and this should have been an indication to his owner that all was not well.

I sincerely hope that the horse is not put down on a high of emotions for something that may not have been his fault really, he may have been in pain or something.

Get well wishes to the lady and the baby. Hugs to you and your family for having to go through this awful event.

When I fell pregnany I wasn't riding horses but I was riding motorbikes and the moment I knew I gave that up.

It was plain dumb of her to get on an unhappy horse when pregnant. If (god forbid) I fell pregnant now, I would probably fall into the 'plod about' on Joy category but I certainly wouldn't if she was troubled :eek:

How scary! I hope the lady and her baby are okay. But I have to agree with Pengapenga, I don't think the horse was at fault. From your description it sounds like the horse gave plenty of 'warnings' that it wasn't happy and as it wasn't listened to it reared. I hope they don't put the horse down because of it!

What an awful experience to have to go through. I am glad that the baby is ok and I hope the lady and baby are going to be ok.

However........

This concerns me:eek: Acciedents happen with horses and this horse was showing signs of there being something wrong and IMO the lady should have read the horse better. I don't believe this is entirely the horses fault unless of course he had a history of this behaviour, he was clearly stressed by your description of the events and this should have been an indication to his owner that all was not well.

I sincerely hope that the horse is not put down on a high of emotions for something that may not have been his fault really, he may have been in pain or something.

Get well wishes to the lady and the baby. Hugs to you and your family for having to go through this awful event.

Hear,hear the horse was obviouls upset about something and thoses warnings should have been heeded, especiall as she was so heavil pregnant. I rode up until I was 7 months and found it to difficult to mount/dismount but if I had ever had ANY doubts on Storms frame of mind I would not have ridden especially not without a hat.
Hope she is ok

Hey guys, just so that you know, I COMPLETELY AGREE with all of you, even though this thread was mine.

If I was her,I wouldnt have even gotten on him, let alone his signs, but unfortuantely i cannot control what they do with him, and I cannot just buy him as he is expensive and we have limited land (only enough for 1 more horse).

The boyfriend told us over the phone that he wouldnt sell it on as he doesnt want it to happen to any riders out there. and that it will be put down. We reasoned with him and told him that all the signs were there and he refused, he said that he wouldnt want anyone else in danger.

Im very sorry.

Hey guys, just so that you know, I COMPLETELY AGREE with all of you, even though this thread was mine.

If I was her,I wouldnt have even gotten on him, let alone his signs, but unfortuantely i cannot control what they do with him, and I cannot just buy him as he is expensive and we have limited land (only enough for 1 more horse).

The boyfriend told us over the phone that he wouldnt sell it on as he doesnt want it to happen to any riders out there. and that it will be put down. We reasoned with him and told him that all the signs were there and he refused, he said that he wouldnt want anyone else in danger.

Im very sorry.

Kizza don't feel worse than you do, it is out of your hands. I rather suspect that the gentleman is reacting emotionally. I can understand that he does not want it happening to someone else, that is responsible thing to do however I would like to think that he would have the horse assessed by a professional. A vet to see if pain was the cause and a professional trainer too.

At the end of the day it was a horrible accident, I am sure the lady did not expect it happen and she obviously trusted the horse. Silly to have mounted a horse that was distressed knowing she was pregnant.

poor horse

also silly woman, had just got the horse, then gets pregnant, not wonderful timing is it.

sorry she hurt herself but it's a bit much if an innocent horse gets killed just to satisfy her boyfriend's guilt/anger

We have had a talk and overall, Kenny is the lady's horse not her boyfriends, so he has no say. She is an animal lover and hates them being PTS, so we doubt that it will happen. Will deffo keep you up to date!

Hey Kizza, I'm sorry to hear you had such a scary day :(
That was pretty brave of you, keeping calm like that and looking after the kids - well done :)
I hope you feel less shocked about the day soon. Make sure you keep talking to your mum about how you're feeling cos it's quite a big thing you've been through!

PS Your mum might want to let this lady know that her boyfriend is upset and considering having the horse put to sleep, because when horses are PTS, ownership is not always checked - the person doing it might think that it is her boyfriend's horse and that he's allowed to make that decision.
The lady might agree with her boyfriend - but it would be good to make sure she has the chance to talk it through with him before he makes a quick decision that she might not want him to do.

What a stupid lady .. not only for not reading the signs, riding without a helmet, but for putting herself AND her baby at risk!

Ooh that makes me mad .. I hope the horse is saved. Doesn't deserve to die for something he didn't do wrong.

even if the horse is not put to sleep, what happens then? the owner is obviously going to be unable to care for it for a very long time so who is going to do this? are you still interested in him or not? would she loan him to you till at least she is in a position to be able to deal with him correctly? Would you still want him?

I gave up riding when I was pregnant.

It was a very stupid thing for the woman to do, but I am sure that she know that now! Some people think that they are such good riders that accidents won't happen to them. Lets hope that she learns from this. I am so pleased that the baby is unharmed.

We know the baby is ok, but is she? they said her back and pelvis maybe fractured, any news, hope she's ok, yes she may have put herself in a stupid position but I'm sure she realises it now, sometimes you do things without thinking in the spur of the moment we all have (ok maybe not on that scale) I did a stoopid thing myself not two years ago and rode a highly annoyed temper tantrum throwing horse which I should never have got on, all the signs were there and I didn't listen, yes I came off and yes he landed on top of me, one broken pelvis later I realised I should never have got on, ok I wasn't pregnant or hatless but people do make bad judgements from time to time, lets just hope she's ok rather than berating her on her bad judgement :)

I hope the lady makes a full recovery and the birth goes fine.

I think the lady was mad! however I know alot of people who carried on riding whilist pregant. I personally wouldnt and I think it was a lesson learnt! Perhaps she should of got of when the horse began messing about considering her circumstances.. I know I would of been straight of lol !

oh, Kizza, that must have been so scary! You handled it very well, though!

I know plenty of people who keep riding while pregnant - I plan to continue riding when I get pregnant, until it becomes too uncomfortable. It's good for the baby and for mom to keep up exercise like that.

But in no way would I get on an excited or stressed horse. In fact, I may not even be willing to ride my Mia when the time comes. That's just beyond silly. But everyone makes mistakes, and I'm sure she's kicking herself in hindsight. I really hope she and the baby are ok.

newrider.com