Horrible Accident at Yard

rtk

Aug 6, 2007
Horrible Accident at Yard *Update*

Our YO has a farm sale each year of all the youngsters he has bought in and tuned out to grow. As he has around 180 they dont get handled any more than they were when the came.

Its in the yard right next to ours so things overflow onto ours. We always spend the weekend up there to keep an eye on our horses.

They usually wait till the sale is over and load everthing then.

Yesterday a lady bought 3 youngsters and tried to load them while the sale was going on, she eventually brought them round to our yard and managed to get them in. But not before she had tried to load them outside the sale yard, right next to the food caravan and seating.

They were rearing and throwing themselves around, in the middle of this crowd where people were sitting and eating and using the gate in and out of the sale yard.

I didn't actually see what happened as I was on guard in our yard but someone came looking for the nurses who keep horses with ours.

A poor old man of 82 was lying on the ground with open fractures to his arm and leg, his bones were sticking out. Our nurse stayed looking after him until the ambulance arrived and said it didn't look good. He will need surgery and it will be very difficult to get him mobile again with breaks to his arm and legs at his age.

Hoping he going to be OK, we will ring this morning to find out how he is.

Just a reminder really of what happens when people have no patience or consideration for other people. The people who buy at these sales are experienced horse dealers not novices.

Last edited:
Oh how horrible! Sending good vibes to the poor old gentleman who was injured. Do hope he's OK!

That's awful, I hate our claim for everything society but I hope he claims against her! Some people really do not think or care. I hope the poor old guy is ok.

I agree, I hate it too but if this were a member of my family i'd be seeking legal advice and make a claim against the YO and the woman. That man may now need constant care if he doesn't heal or gets infections etc.

Poor old chap. Really hope he pulls through.
Stupid woman - hope she feels awful about the accident she's caused. People handling horses should never be so ignorant. She's lucky that no more people were hurt.

Im not sure the YO is to blame here. The youngsters were loaded at the sale when the gentleman was injured not the Yard? :confused:

Poor gentleman, hope he is going to be ok. And I hope that someone got the womans details so she can be brought to justice. :mad:

Last edited:
OMG how awful. I really hope he recovers - that's the same age as my Dad and I can't imagine him coping very well with something like that at his age. Stupid woman, people just do not think ahead. :mad:

omg that's awful, the poor man :( I hope he will be alright. How stupid was she having unhandled ponies around a group of people!

Im not sure the YO is to blame here. The youngsters were loaded at the sale when the gentleman was injured not the Yard? :confused:

Poor gentleman, hope he is going to be ok. And I hope that someone got the womans details so she can be brought to justice. :mad:

I would think that seeing as it was on his property and his sale he would be at fault too for allowing buyers to load unhandled horses while the general public were still around?
I think that was the scenario anyway!

newrider.com