Horrendous Trip back from Yard

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Had awful trip back from yard. It had snowed pretty heavily, so opted to take main road route. Cars were abandoned up hills, one was right on a corner with its people, car came the other way and smacked right into it.

Followed a Rav4 whose driver looked like he knew what he was doing - and he did. Thank goodness for a four wheel drive. We cruised up the hills, having to wait to pass people who were either stuck on the way up, or wouldn't come down. Where he popped in between stuck cars, I followed!!! Felt quite worried when he turned off and I was left alone!!!

Just awful. Took me well over an hour to do a 20 minute trip. I HATE THE SNOW!!! Never again will I ever complain about rain!!!

Glad you got back safely!

Think it's caught people out tonight down here, roads closed and buses stuck on the hills etc.. I did the morning run which was handy as my boss, whose route home is 2/3 of my journey to the horses and it had taken her 2.5hrs to get home! It terrifies me when its like that!

glad you got home ok :)

i had a terrible time too ....

left work, started driving towards yard (15-20min drive). snow got worse ... and worse ... nearly went into the back of the car in front because my brakes didn't work and the car just skidded ...

then, about 100 yards from the yard an accident occured (pedestrian was hit by a car) and I got stuck right by the ambulance for half an hour (pedestrian was ok, thank god!) ... when traffic started moving again I realised i'd turned the engine off but left the lights on :frown:

car wouldn't start, battery flat!

out of nowhere, a friend who happened to be passing appeared with her 4x4 and a set of jumpleads to get me going again. phew!

chucked hay at Angel (appley had plenty of roundbale) and skidded home ... very scary going through the village (hilly etc) ... hope it'll be better tomorrow!

Julia
x

Sounds dreadful. One thing that worries me is anybody out walking - we had very little control over the truck at one point yesterday and one of the neighbours from down the lane was out walking, I was really worried in case we skidded, as the road is quite narrow. Thankfully it all passed without incident, but you can't be too careful.

newrider.com