hooves

Don't use baby oil either, the effect is the same. It's an oil that prevents natural exchange of water into and out of the hoof structure. If they have dry feet stand them in water for 15 minutes or so while you groom them.

Or make a foot bath if you live in a dry part of the country. Dig out a shallow pit. Line with concrete, fill with water, stand horse in water.

Hi, im fron the uk and i use a hoof ointment called cournucresine which is really good for hoofs, it promotes the growth of the horn and can be used everyday however you may need to get your horse shod more frequently if you do decide to use it

Just a word of caution, if you use cornucresine, you need to be aware that it acts as a 'blister' on the coronet and promotes rapid hoof growth. You do run the risk of the hoof quality suffering slightly as you are encouraging the hoof to grow more quickly than it would normally and this could mean that the hoof won't be as thick and strong as it would be if left to grow at it's own pace.

I was always taught to oil hooves as little as possible otherwise it would interfere with the moisture balance, and that healthy feet don't need oiling. So I only use oil when going to shows, otherwise I leave them au naturel - and my horse's feet have never been a problem except when he was recovering from a virus. This suggests to me that the general state of health and vitamin levels has more of an effect on the hooves than what you paint on them, so if your horse is getting good-quality feed and is healthy, why not leave the oil off for a month and see what happens?

You can rub whatever you like on hooves, it will not improve them. It's diet that will influence horn quality. Oiling is not good for the feet.

The best money saving tip I could give about hoof oil is buy one tin, use it for shows only, if you must, and it will last you a lifetime.

newrider.com