Hoof with laminitis

SGL93

Oct 31, 2015
Hello! I´m student vet and I have a question. There are variously treatmetn for hoofs with laminitis, but if I put therapeutic horseshoes, It´s correct? Will I get good results? Thanks :)

Lami is often a symptom of a metabolic issue, treating the symptom alone wont resolve it. In some instances remedial shoes can help manage the symptom until the underlying cause is addressed but there are other options too like remedial trimming and the application of pads and boots for example but it would depend on the severity of the condition as to which treatment would be most beneficial at the time. Just to add I'm no vet, just have two who are in the high risk category, probably best to discuss it with your teacher/professor.

You would need to answer with more than just therapeutic horse shoes.
The vet can work alongside the farrier and it can depend on the severity, age if the horse any on going issues as to whether or not shoes are the way forward.

Most vets though think of shoes because that's how they are trained to reply.:)

Ok, thank you for your answers. I have asked help to mys academic tutors but I only want know the opinion of people this world of horses carthorse and Jane&Ziggy.

I would suggest contacting farriers or joining a forum specifically about the foot or laminitis.
As much as we may or may not be knowledgeable, some of us will talk sense and some of us utter crap!
Just because we own a horse doesn't mean we are experts :)

newrider.com