Hoof Problem advice please - with pics

atillathefun

Jan 7, 2005
Essex
Visit site
I am a bit confused over my horses feet, he was only shod 3 weeks ago and they dont look very good to me.
They seem to be deterioating (sp) but I dont know why as he is on a feed balancer and I paint them everyday with Cornucresine Hoof Moisturiser so I think they are quite well looked after. The dark hoof was fine but now has lines in it and there is a bit of hoof missing from the toe. (since he was last shod).
I have discussed the crack with my farrier (I have another post about this sorry) and he said not to worry. My concern is wether my farrier is contributing to the problems :confused: . I just wondered if anyone can give me any advice.

Some of the pictures make him look like he has funny shaped legs, he doesnt its just the angle I took the photos but my camera went flat so I couldnt take any straight ones! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Cracked Hoof.JPG
    Cracked Hoof.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Dark Hoof.JPG
    Dark Hoof.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Front Legs.JPG
    Front Legs.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Back Feet.JPG
    Back Feet.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 32
Some side on shots would be useful, but to my inexpert eye they look long in the toe and upright, and at a guess too high at the heels as well. I'd imagine that won't help with the cracking or the state of the toes, although a bit of wall missing at the toe is nothing greatly to worry about in itself. Is there any reason you've been given for his being shod with quarter clips on the fronts?

To be perfectly honest I'm not too impressed with your farrier's shoeing. The best people to ask for detailed advice would be the barefoot section of the enlightened equitation forum. They are very knowledgable about hooves both shod and unshod so I suggest you ask their opinion. Good luck x

Yann - he said that it will take the pressure off the front of the hoof :confused: I will see if I have any side shots

Thanks Rosanna maybe I will post it on their too then.

He is a really nice guy and reliable which in my experience is a rare thing for a Farrier but they did look wrong to me too!

Last edited:
my boy is shod in front like that too, the farrier says it means he can then trim the toe back, otherwise it flares out and helps him to trip.
it does look a bit odd but i got used to it after a bit and he hadn't tripped since.

the angle of wall of the hoof is the same as teh pastern angle which is very good
i think the wet winter followed by that dry spell has been hard for their feet-all mine are looking worse for wear :(

What breed it the horse?

The angles look okay from what I can see from the side, (as you say, not a reaslly good shot) He does have narrow boxy feet, nothing much you can do about that, better narow and boxy than flat and splatty with weak soles!

The crack looks nothing sinister, you'd never notice it on a dark hoof.

I would do away with cornucrescene, and just let them get wet every day for 20 mins.

newrider.com