Hoof Boot help needed pretty urgently

Daffy Dilly

Dec 5, 2004
Visit site
As I expected, now that Daffy has a decent amount of hoof, the size 6 G2s are a bit snug, and we expect that they might rub his heel bulbs.

They'll be ok short term - I'll take the pads out and we can put a pair of socks on him to stop them rubbing (the gaitors never fit him) but obviously it's not an ideal solution.

After his trim last night, he had a slight nod on his off fore. Whilst we aim to help his comfort levels with Bute-X and Arnica (the latter hopefully given homeopathically) I really want a set of four boots.

His front feet (the G2s go on easier behind, and will do until I can afford two replacement pairs) are longer than they are wide at this stage. We discussed going for size 7 G2s and padding them out appropriately. Our EP thinks they might twist, but he had no personal experience of the Gloves.

Suggestions? I'd like to go buy/order the boots this morning.

Greatrider has posted a number of threads on here about her gloves, and seems to have got on really well with them...Sounds like they are great provided hoof shape is right for them; can get hoof test/size kit from saddlery shop...

Can't help more than that though as not using boots on our existing barefoots, but looking into it all because hopefully getting rid of remedial shoes and will probably need to boot...

Seeing as tho my boy is similar breed to daffy...perhaps you could try easyboot edge?
Theyre the new kind of easyboot, come in a pair and they're brilliant! Never move, twist, shift or anything. You dont really know you even have them on. Due to the worm clamp system, they get a really snug fit and it doesnt matter if the feet are slightly different size/shape.
Look here:
http://www.easycareinc.com/our_boots/easyboot_edge/easyboot_edge.aspx
Also...if you do buy them, buy them from www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk because you can get them on a 14 day trial basis meaning that you can fully test and try them for 14 days and if you they arent suitable you can then send them back and get your money back minus a £30 charge for the 14 day hire.
I did get my easyboot edges on hire but was so impressed that I never had to send them back!

I have heard great things about the easyboot gloves but...you have to get a pretty accurate fit and the hooves have to be the 'perfect' easyboot shape...as you probably know, some boots suit horses hoof shapes better than others. I think saddleryshop.co.uk do the gloves too...?

Last edited:
I couldn't do the G2s up on his fronts earlier, so my short term back-up plan has vanished. Touch wood he seems reasonably comfortable so far though. :)

I'll have to do some reading up on the other boots. My only concern with the Easyboot Edge is the inbuilt gaitor, but I like the concept with the worm clamp system. Daffy has a lot of feather for a welsh cob, so even the large G2 gaitors don't go near him! How much give is there in the gaitors?

What sort of work do you do in the Edge boots, and how do they hold up? The best test I could do right now would be to leave them on in the field, so other people's experiences really help. :)

The main thing that would sway me against the G2s is something with better grip on the roads.

Tried them on her today and what an eye opener!!:D She let me slip them on and they were so easy and they fit a treat. To be honest I didn't ride her in them but we walked around the yard and I let her loose in the school before going for a test walk down the stoney farm lane. At first, she was tentative, I guess because she didn't trust them, then she became quite whizzy and showed off which I have not seen for quite a while. I think I saw a big grin on her face and there was certainly one on mine:D:D. Our friend then turned up on the lane in her 4WD and complemented me on Ellies new crocs!!:)
Tomorrow we ride;)

newrider.com