hoof boot fit question

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
So I got B a pair of cavallo sports for his hind hoofters about 2 years ago. I got him a size 2 but I've always been a bit doubtful of the fit (despite using there measuring guide) I think it may be because B has collapsed/under run heels, so we stopped using them after he came sound from being stone bruised. I'm thinking about re visiting the hoof boots as I'd like to start taking him out for in hand walks this spring and he can get a bit stumbly on stoney ground. I'm wondering if he needs a size up in the cavallo's (which I have found cheap on fb) or a different style of boot. I'll get some pix of his feet tonight as the farrier is coming so he'll be all freshly trimmed.

I have the simple version, I ordered from their size guide for Jess's fronts and got a 3 but they were sloppy on her foot once on so I ended up going down to a 2, they are snug to get on by the end of the trim cycle but easy right after a trim which seems to be the right fit for her.

I would see what the ones you have fit like after two years. It's likely the hoof has altered and your farrier has sorted the under run.
Since I started having boots for here and there, mine has gone up two sizes in the same make.
I've never booted the hinds.

His feet feet don't really grow (farrier always comments on it!) so it's not really something that can be fixed. Generally he just gives them a quick rasp and rolls the toe. I think it's age related. He's old and everything is slowing down, including hoof growth, although his toes have never grown that fast. But a good idea to try them for size again. He only wore them for a couple months. They always felt quite stiff to put on and he was not that keen on them being put on. I don't remember there being any problems once they were on though.

His feet feet don't really grow (farrier always comments on it!) so it's not really something that can be fixed. Generally he just gives them a quick rasp and rolls the toe. I think it's age related. He's old and everything is slowing down, including hoof growth, although his toes have never grown that fast. But a good idea to try them for size again. He only wore them for a couple months. They always felt quite stiff to put on and he was not that keen on them being put on. I don't remember there being any problems once they were on though.
I used my simples in wet grass then oiled them as they are leather :D softened them right up

I have easyboot gloves but in cold weather they are really hard to get on.
I got the new easyboot trails but went with all 4 feet since he got an absess on the rear.
and the absess he got a few years ago was also on the rear.
I like the way they seem to go on
but have not been any place yet that needs boots.

Andi has boa boots but they got discontinued - I did like them as well.

Boa got discontinued I think because there are so many out there these days that are lighter.
Boas still pop up on EBay.
The Transitions are a similar fit but I sold on as too big. I didn't in all honesty feel they justified the price tag either.
Anything much more than £100 for a pair is a bit excessive to be frank.

Well farrier didn't trim hinds. He said due to all the mud sloughing off the old sole he is being very warey of trimming any of his bare foot clients. I was a bit disappointed as I feel B's toes are a bit long, but he pointed out on the sole that there is no old sole, and he's right, there isn't. But going to see what vet thinks when she comes out a week on Monday.

Whats the sole got to do with trimming length off? I never touch jess' sole but trim length every 2 weeks at the moment as she had a bit of flare going on.

Well I did wonder that myself. Hence asking the vet a week on Monday! I'm going to get them to check B's soundness for me starting to do in hand walking with him, just to make sure there isn't anything I'm not picking up on. That way I can get back in touch with my farrier and say they said to take the length off to help him break over easier. I know it's silly and a little tip toeing but you know what farriers can be like, they are a sensitive breed! ;)

Reactions: Jessey
I had a proper look at his toes and they are not as bad as I first thought (he sometimes stands oddly which exadurates the look of the length.) tried his boots on him and them just popped on. Don't know if the shape of his feet have changed (he's been barefoot behind for about four years) but there was no distance at all! And he did t complain about them going on. If anything they felt a little loose, they didn't swivel round but they felt a bit baggy round the hoof wall. I might try him in the smaller ones I have but I think I may just need to get some gel inserts for the bigger ones.

Reactions: joellie and Jessey
newrider.com