Honestly is someone trying to tell me something??

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
SO i have been phoning daily to check on the lurchers poo. Phoned today and he has develpoed kennel cough. He is still ok to be rehomed they say as vet has put him on meds.

HOWEVER.... although i have had my 16yo Old Scamp vaccinated last week with the kennel cough vaccine i know this only helps stop her getting it, it doesnt prevent it and i cant help being reluctant to put her at risk, she is my little star, she means the world to me and i have had her almost half my life.

I have spoken again to the home today about the labradoodle who is in our local home and the girl i spoke to said he came from a home with kids. He was just a problem with sheep and chickens not the kids, also she knows someone who has known him since a puppy and has said she will see if she can tell her anymore about him. She feels he would be very trainable and says he is a lovely dog. Oh and apparently he is used to being around horses!

He is a stunning looking dog and i too felt very bright and responsive to being handled properly not left to his own bouncing devices!

I am so torn ....

Please someone come and give me a shake!

Sorry totally self indulgent post...me me me.:redface: Please have some chocolates or gin if its not too early....

Last edited:
poor lurcher boy. he's been incubating KC for a while as it can take anything up to 2 weeks to manifest so it was fate he didnt come out to you as it could have afected your old dog.
Just hang on in there!

I can see why you are torn, Labrodoodles are nice, but maybe the lurcher needs the care you can give and will be harder to rehome than the cute lab....not sure...maybe go and see the lab again...see what your gut tells you?

No rush though really is there....you could wait for the cute lurcher:showoff:

Have to add that the lurcher has only been in home for 2 weeks and reserved for half of that by me.

The labradoodle has been in the home up here for 6 weeks, it is a tiny home with about 7 dogs in it (glasgow have i'd guess around 70 odd) so no kennel cough problem exists in our local home. Apparently the adult dogs are just not shifting at the mo and the staff say they cant believe it as he is a great dog that they though would have ordinarily have been snapped up.

Honestly, I think if the lurcher was incubating KC then maybe that's why he was so placid. I'd be wanting to see him again when he's healthy - and if you can wait that long then go for it. As I said before, though, lurchers are not for everyone - their recall is notoriously rubbish - once they're on the scent/chase it doesn't matter how well-trained they are - they often don't come back - sometimes for hours. I loved ours to bits, but I'm so glad I can let both of our other dogs off lead now and know with 99% certainty that they will come back.

I know I'm going against the grain here, but I'd go for the labradoodle . . . I really don't think the lurcher is for you - nor do I think a collie would suit you (they're notoriously neurotic - I have two collie crosses and one is a nightmare).

You did ask ;).

N

Hmmm, I still think the lurcher is the one..... But understand you have to put your other dogs needs first because of health etc

I cant help loving the lurcher. I do love how gentle he is and just love lurcher/greyhound ways. Love the laziness coupled with the speed.

However i do feel very sorry for this Labradoodle. He is a lovely dog too and because he is a bit of a doughnut i think it might put people off him. He is big and i know that can be off putting, however i do think in the right hands he could be a fab dog. He is very affectionate and the kind of dog that wouldnt mind having the kids give him a good rub and cuddle. The lurcher is more of a delicate boy i'd say.

It might seem a strange thing to think of but i think if the lurcher was ever to hurt the kids it would be because one of the kids had pulled him by the collar perhaps to bring him outside or in and he'd be woosy and yelp at them maybe a warning type snap (our old lurcher did this and so would my little 16 yo, the kids know not to pull at her or this will happen) with the Labradoodle i dont think he is woosy at all but think he would be more relaxed with the kids thumping around and taking him by the collar, if he were to hurt them it would be because he might knock them over with his boisterous ways before i have a chance to show him the error of his ways!!

I am really torn, no doubt my hubby will have thoughts when he gets in. But he says his heart says the lab and his head says lurch!! Helpful!!!

I don't think I would risk taking kennel cough into a house with an elderly dog either.

My friends have a labradoodle & for what it's worth she is mental! Totally their own fault, she was just left to her own devices and never trained or walked (they have a very large back garden, so they thought no need to walk her), now when she is taken out she is nuts! Completely hyper and has no social skills, but she is a very sweet affectionate dog...would send a small child flying with one of her cuddles though! She is now about 5 and I don't think she could be retrained, she is just too hyper.

I'm gonna pm you another option...just to screw with your head even more!!

I would not be considering the Lurcher at this stage until he is completely clear of kennel cough. Only then can you make the decision.

I think that you will know when you find the right one. All my dogs have "found" me. The only one I had a choice with was Monty. I was going to see 2 dogs but when I saw him, I didnt want to see the other!

~~~~~~virtual shake~~~~~~
Hate choosing anything let alone animals so feel your pain.
From what you write I think the lurcher is the one for you? But don't know about the practicalities around his health and your current dog. Maybe the decision will be made for you with this?

I spent an hour on the phone to the home where the labradoodle is tonight and the woman there tells me the staff all love this guy. Despite being under exercised in the home she feels he is calm in his kennel and also very clean. She says he tires quite easily and so isnt a bouncing idiot for long. He is a very affectionate easy going boy and the collegue who brought him in has known him since he was a pup and says he is a lovely dog with no badness in him, bright, lovely with people inc kids, good with horses and cats and other dogs just partial to a chicken or two:help:

I am going to go back and see him. I wan to try walking him with a gentle leader as i find harness no good for this type of dog. Was like trying to walk a horse out in hand holding him by the saddle.

All research i do tells me labradoodles are as mad and boisterous and thick as they come. But i cant help likinghim and wanting to consider him. He seemed bright to me, but then i have lived with Patsy the great dane for ten years and she was called after Patsy from Ab Fab for her dipsy ways!!

Should each dog be taken on its own merit? I just dont know.

Thanks for the virtual shake FM i really really need it.... HATE HATE HATE making decisions like this. It is so so hard when an animal involved.

newrider.com