Homemade mane and tail and fly spray

ForestGump

Apr 9, 2008
Hampshire
Diamond has very sensitive skin, and canter mane and tail spray makes her extremely itchy.
As does her fly spray (I think the fly spray is the ditch the itch stuff, by lincoln).

What do people use to make fly spray?
Does anyone make their own mane and tail? And what do you make that with? :confused:

:)

I've made mane & tail spray successfully in the past using one part human hair conditioner, one part baby oil and one part water. Shake well before use. :)

I always use this fly spray recipe:

Half pint strong cold tea
2 tablespoons vinegar
2tablespoons washing up liquid
1 bottle of citronella
2 tablespoons metholated sprits

Make ingredients up to two litres with cold water and always shake well before each application.

For mane and tail I either use conditioner baby oil etc or coconut oil, slightly diluted, which is great,
for fly spray...
1/2 pint of very strong cold tea
1/4 pint of vinegar
aprox 15 drops of cittronella
aprox 10 drops of lavender, eucalyptus and tea tree oil
tiny squirt of washing up liquid

I am also going to try adding witch hazel, benzol benzonate and dettol but I am not sure how this will work? the above is not quite strong enough for me, but we do live in the most horsefly and midge populated area. You can feed garlic to.

Here is a recipe we gave to our members as part of our money saving tips:

15ml Citronella Oil
2 tablespoons meths or alternatively use Neem Oil
1 tablespoon Fairy Liquid
4 tablespoons vinegar
1 mug of strong black tea

Mix ingredients together with 2 litres of cold water.

Warning: Fly repellents containing Citronella have now been banned from
equestrian retailers in the UK. This is because the oil can cause skin irritation and burning in some horses. Citronella is very strong and should be carefully mixed with other ingredients such as meths, do not use Citronella neat as this could harm your horse's skin.

I am going to test this recipe out as Bertie and the gang are getting swarmed by flies and refuse to keep fly rugs and masks on!

newrider.com