Homemade jumps!!!

Traffic cones, lakes, puddles, water-filled-ditches, anoraks, wellington boots, feed buckets- anything really!! :)

I find that hay bales make the most expensive jumps ever ! It would cost me $12 to put together a one-bale high jump 3 wide ...plus cost and time to go get them and put them in place ...then within 2 days they'd be eaten, rotten, wet and trampled to pieces and I'd have to start over.

back in my childhood memories.... we used to use braken bales on the hils when the farmers had harvested it and left them out. you used to ride across the common and see all the random bales put into jumping lanes. the farmers never used to mind actually, as it made it a bit easier for them to collect them rather than trundling around miles of commonland collecting up single bales at a time.

( the braken bales were used as bedding for cows in the big sheds over winter!)

To get my daughters pony used to "spooky" jumps I am going use some plastic flowers (donated by Domane's mum) and old plant pots and stick those under some straight poles. We also went to XC event last year and the mini class had plastic toys and garden ornamounts under the jumps - all very cheap and cheerful

loser88 said:
Traffic cones, lakes, puddles, water-filled-ditches, anoraks, wellington boots, feed buckets- anything really!! :)
Have you really jumped anoraks and wellington boots??? :D Classic!!!!

Erm...well we get ours from our farm because half of it is filled with lorries and junk where the farm lads do work with trailers and wood etc. Not sure where you can get them from really, how about construction yards or junk yards? Hmm

Jenny xx

Bin bags filled with stram :)
milk crates :)
chairs :)
cones :)
Those road work things, they are red and white and make really good fillers :D
Hay bales
Oli drums and paint them funky colours :)
Tarpoulains (BIG sheets of plastic) make a water tray!
Rubber water buckets, filled with water inbetween a spread :D and rubber duckies!
Old rugs, blankets
Old shed door (totally nail FREE) use as a big filler.
plants :)
Bushes for bulfinches :)

will getmy brain working a bit more later lol :D

Milk creates
Stumps
Logs
Poles
Tarp
Boxes (cardboard) - makes the jump wider :p
Plant pots (plastic)
.. etc

Then .. to help get 'anti spook' .. we also put around the arena, or next to/attachted to the jumps:
Balloons (Thats interesting :p)
Flowers/pots
Brollies (the big, bright colourful ones are the best)
Plastic bags
Tarp laid out, and hung to make noise (and ride over)
Prams
Large pieces of white, or coloured cardboard

.. Even though these items arent actually IN the jumping arena at comps etc.. (though you never know when you'll see a ferral pram..), its great to get them used to working around it :p

We use beer crates, oil drums, small plastic drums, cones. bins and occasionally breeze blocks for extra wings beer crates are the best and the small plastic drums! IF you see a tree broken down nick some of the longer thinner branches the are good! We have a massive filler made out of chip board too. I used to be more adventurous with my jumps but now they seem too scary (and i cant be botherd to put them away!!

A certain DIY shop which sounds like BBQ sells thin plastic drain pipe type poles. Much thinner and lighter than normal poles and drainpipe. There about £1 each and really long.

We brought 5 of those, painted them using tester pots and then jumped over them. Just balanced them on chairs, feed bins, tack boxes etc. Coats and jackets as fillers etc. Simple! They got a little bit bent and things, but it was good because they bent rather than slid if they got trodden on, so they didn't spook the horses. Also being light, they were easy to carry around and knocked very easily.

Branches and things make good fillers too

I use traffic cones as wings, and paint wooden fence posts to use as poles. Also I once made a log jump with the fence posts.

newrider.com