homemade hay steamer-I did it.

TALSMUM

Nov 28, 2006
south wales
I am so pleased with myself. I have been looking into buying a hay steamer as soaking my horses hay in the depth of winter did not appeal:eek:
The prices were horrendus, but hubby said he would buy it to make my life easier:)
thanks to the people on this forum I copied the idea by using the dustbin and wallpaper steamer and last night I had lovely steamed hay, all nice and warm.
I didnt think it was going to work but amazingly it did.
so thanks to all of you who had done it before as without you i would of spent about £350. instead it cost £30 to do one bin and I am going to do another so i can steam 2 haynets at once.

I have already spent money in my head lol. just trying to extract it from hubby:)

Yes well the extraction part can often be the painful bit. Have you tried blatant flattery oh and perhaps a back massage thrown in? My hubs will promise me anything after that ;)

is this steaming instead of saoking still take the goodness out ? if so how do i go about making one :eek:

i had trauma last year trying to carry my lads whopper net from the soaking bin to the fence to hang it and let it drain - buggered me back up :rolleyes:

got any piccies ?

chickyd- I had same problem as you. soaking wet nets, trying to pull out of bin and then getting drenched hanging them. also did my back in.
I read some posts on here, so what i did was buy a small wallpaper steamer(cost £20) and drilled a hole at the bottom of a dustbin to allow hose to go through. I reconnected the steamer plate at the bottom of the bin as i didnt want the hose to come out but you dont have to. put filled hay net in put on the dustbin lid and let it steam for about 20 mins. once i switched it off i let it cool down and viola steamed hay. it doesnt take goodness out, i just wanted to get rid of the dust as horse had heaves. if you still want pics let me know and i will take some tonight. it is really basic.

newrider.com