Homemade fly spray

Innocence

Jun 1, 2009
I know this was done last year but i need to make a fresh batch up, what are the ingredients again please?

I used cold tea, citronella last year but can't remember the rest.

I use:

Very strong mug of cold tea
Desert spoon of Citronella
Desert spoon of washing up liquid
Desert spoon of vinegar
Desert spoon of methylated spirits

Mix it all together and top up to 1 1/2 litres... makes three bottles

I've also heard that tea-tree is good. And, don't ask me why I put the meths in, just copying somebody else :unsure::giggle:

Just a warning about the cold tea....

Don't use it as an ingredient if you have a coloured horse. Otherwise your horse's white bits will be a manky shade of tea. Believe me - I did it last year.:redcarded:

Poor Izzy - the things he has to put up with me as his numpty owner!:giggle:

So . . . anyone got a recipe that won't stain a grey horse? ;)

Don't fancy Kal being a fetching shade of "tea" all summer long . . .

N

To be honest, I've tried making my own (from a recipe on here) and I've had the shop bought stuff and nothing seems to work! I put their fly rugs and masks on when its really bad - luckily we nearly always have quite a strong breeze in their field - even in the summer.
The Avon Skin so Soft is fabby for midges though, wouldn't be without that stuff now. I spray them liberally once the sun has started setting and they are much happier without the little blighters attacking them, in years past they had a horrid time at dusk.

I use a 50:50 mixture of baby oil and dettol on mine with a squirt of washing up liquid to help it mix - comes out of the spray bottle white and only shows up as a slight greasiness once it has soaked in a bit

i've heard about this avon skin so soft being amazing when used as a part of a home made spray, which skin so soft is it though as avon do a few different ones called that?

I'm guess its the 'dry oil spray?'

Is it just the citronella in it that works? as it that case you may aswell mix cintronella with a bit of baby oil?

I have a grey mare, so tea is out of the question.

I'm thinking of -

avon skin so soft
tea tree oil
maybe citronella? i say maybe as the avon stuff has it in?

what else would i need to add?
Washing up liquid?
viniger??

also what sort of quantities?

I use the Avon Skin so Soft straight from the bottle but never in direct sunlight as it is a dry oil and would fry 'em if they get hot in the sun! It is great to use at dusk on myself as well, as the midges often eat me and I come home from a ride covered in bites and just generally around the yard they attack me!
It is Woodland fragrance, the bottle is white and green. It is used by lots of people when travelling I'm told, apparently it rids people of mossies in places like Africa - well, it certainly helps me in Lancs!!!lol

I use a recipe tht was givin to me on here last year and really does work

half bottle of white vinegar
same amount of lemon juice
a few drops of citronella
strong cold tea to top the bottle up

I used to use the recipe mentioned above and then moved onto apple cider vinegar (straight) and sprayed on. Did find this worked as well.

I have since moved on to using dettol year before last, mixed with citronella and tea tree as my fly spray. gets a thumbs up from me above the others i have tried.

and in another bottle just dettol made up on its own to stop mild sweet itch symptoms (rubbing tail) been a god send and haven't had any rubbing since using it.

newrider.com