homemade cavaletti poles

L

Lora

I wanted to make caveletti poles for our barn and paint them up nicely. What are most people using? (2 x 4's Length: 6' or 8') or some other cut of wood? The ones we had at schooling barn were octagon shaped. I'm rather handy with a saw and can cut angles but dont' want to wind up making something that is a bare to lift.

Has anyone else made their own? Is the flat surface on a 4 side a problem?

My husband and I made some. We used pressure-treated 2x4's and made them with the classic "x" pattern (ends angled to rest flat). We used a dado blade to make 1" grooves in each piece so they fit together at 90 degree angles, then glued and bolted them.

Riding From A-Z By Peter Churchill published '75 said:
A very simple movable wooden frame from which the basic varieties of jump can easily be made - the upright and the spread. Cavalletti are invaluable for the schooling of young horses and the education of the advanced student. They are made up of a solid 9ft (2.74m) pole bolted to a stout 'X' frame at either end. These 'X' frames are set off the right-angle so that merely turning t he cavalletti over three different heights can be achieved-10in. (25cm), 15in. (37.5cm) and 19in. (47.5cm). Because of the simple design of the 'X' frames the cavalletti can be placed on top of each other to make schooling fences such as oxers and parallel bars or they can be utilized individually to make a grid.

Hope that helps..some measurements in there. And basically typed and quoted it all to help the people who don't know what cavalletti is.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah .. thats really helpful Vimto! Thanku!!

I am planing to make a few myself :p

I am also planning to make some 'solid' jumps that are easily knocked over and are mighty light and easy to move - made all out of house-hold stuff (recycled) hehe

Its okay cheeky. In my opinion it was confusing but hey if you understood great!:)
Bumped up incase any wanted to make any.:p

newrider.com