Home made mane and tail

Dannii5691

Owned by Ponies!
Nov 16, 2009
Whoop 2nd thread ;)

Im my bid to improve wombles mane I have decided im going to pull it and thin it to all one length and start trying to condition it a bit more. Any home made mane and tail recipes? I seem to remember one from years ago that involved baby oil, conditioner and water but cant remember. I have a little citronella I can spray in too to help with flies

Well you could just spray a bit of silicon furniture polish on it - I have been told by a good source that our expensive mane and tail conditioner is little more than the ingredients of furniture polish with a different perfume added? Makes sense really if you think about it.

Hmm I have used a bit if pledge on him before and he has been fine. Would just worry about it getting on the dock and such, as some seem quite strong. Could always give it a go though and see. His mane is so dry and brittle. I do try and leave it alone as much as is possible but I think it needs a little intervention

OH works in the cosmetics raw ingredients industry and says silicones actually damage hair, only make it feel shiny in the short term
Keeps saying he will make me a cheaper version of my preferred mane and tail detangler which is the wonderful (but pricey) Cowboy Magic but I have yet to see it!

Reactions: Flipo's Mum
Oh my! that is something I didn't know F'67 - so can he tell us if there is silcone in the mainstream stuff we all use?

It is often listed on the ingredients as cylo something or anything ending in clone apparently, there are lots of variants.
He is a nightmare to shop with, insists on reading back of every product. Sometimes I insist he stays in the car!

Reactions: joosie
I use the concoction you mention, Dannii, this month's flavour is Tea Tree conditioner mixed with baby oil and water. Not as good as Canter Mane & Tail, if I'm honest, but beggar's can't be choosers.....

I have used baby oil in winter, never in summer.
Currently using a shop bought one that friend bought, tail and feathers only.

My thinking is what goes in, shows outside, so is there anything in the diet that could be added?

He doesnt get much hard feed, mainly good quality hayledge when in and alot of grass when out. Nice good quality grazing. Fertalised with pig poop I think? But I may have imagined that. He has excellent feet and goes barefoot and never slips trips or falls. Even on rocky hard ground so ive never really added anything to his diet. He gets a handful of chaff with some nuts in it as a reward for being worked.
What do you recommend

I've used furniture polish on the bottom of tail and top side of long manes avail ding skin contact with no problems, but generally just leave them to it maybe wash before a show if I really have to. I love cowboy magic and at the rate I apply products a pot lasts me years!

Coconut oil is supposed to be good. I wouldn't use baby oil, not sure that would penetrate the hair shaft? I have been known just to use plain old hair conditioner at times. I still haven't found the key. I have finally invested in a bottle of cowboy magic and it does work short term but my horse's hair is just dry and like a flamin birds nest.

I am slightly obsessive about Bens mane and tail. I use Robinsons own brand mane and tail conditioner. It is half the price of other brands (costs £5.25 a bottle) and it is fabulous stuff.

After washing mine with shampoo, I use human hair conditioner to keep it soft and supple - you'd be surprised at how well it works! I keep meaning to try the Aussie 3 min miracle but so far I've only used tesco coconut shampoo/conditioner mix!

That's the problem fm its really dry and damaged. He needs a good day in the hair dressers ;) he gets conditioned when he has a bath but thats not often. He is hosed off every time I ride so hes cool and to get rid of the sweat.

Anyone know where to buy coconut oil??

You get it off ebay. It comes solidified, but you can warm it up in a tub of hot water, or it melts in your hands tbh. Its just messy. I tried it but didn't feel it made much difference but I didn't try enough probably!
I'm forever in pursuit of something that will work to give my horse glossy tidy hair, but as long as there's a tempting telegraph pole to itch against and lots of flies about, my horse will actively sabotage my attempts!
I do wonder if horse hair is supposed to be thick glossy and sleek though. My friend's horse is an arab and his hair is thin and more sleek. I think part of it is breeding. Flipo's is just coarse, plasticky stuff that breaks easily. Its frustrating!!!

Oooh - just remembered. When I was a kid and was in the swimming club, my hair was like straw. The swimming instructors used to recommend almond oil on our hair to help condition it. Maybe that's worth a try, although not sure if that's expensive or not!

newrider.com