home made jumps!!!

Casper

**TUROE CLOVER**
Oct 24, 2001
Galway, Ireland.
Visit site
we were moving some stuff into the attic the other day when i came across my old h&p mag's. One issue had an article on home made jumps so I'd decided to make my very own jumps 8 in total and i was just wondering had anyone ever made a course before and what did it turn out like?????? (water jump etc. not just a pole on top of a chair!!!)

lol memories memories!!!!

my friend came over and she wanted to see my horse jump so me and her set up a 6 jump cource (pretty simple two outside lines and one across the diagnol) only bout 2' high one small oxer and a water jump. the first jump was a log that was there we put some rocks under it to get it up higher and it looked pretty cool.... the second jump was had to wicker chairs and put flower things by each leg and some under the mop (yes i am serious a mop handle lol)sp?) the third was kinda ****y looking lol, we had a old playhouse peice that was about 2'3 high smooth blue plastic and for the other side of the jump we used paint cans stacked up and a tree branch (we cut the branches off of it) for the pole.... the fourth was the oxer and we used two mouting blocks (stairs) and some PVC pipe.... the 5th was the water jump we one of those (can't remember what they were called) water slide things where you run and jump and slid across...we rolled up teh sides and put the water in it (bout two inches deep) adn used the rolled up sides to hold up the poles than the 6th jump was just a pole across to stoles....it didn't look that bad though...kinda wierd lol! we had a blast though jumping through it!

you must have been a very creative child!!!!!
i can't wait to make mine the main problem is finding a field flat enough, do you thing it would be dangerous to jump on a hill well not so much hill but a slant????????????????????

You can jump on a slant....just be weary. Its hard work for the horse jumping up hill and can be tricky downhill not sure about side on!!!

Also be carefuly with plastic poles, I've read abot some nasty accidents happening with guttering pipes and things because they can shatter leaving sharp edges which can cause serious damage if ending up puncturing the horse - ie if they fall.

Old tyres are great for jump wings...you can stack them up and put poles in between the tyres too. Try asking at your local tyre place, my friend used to work at one and get me loads! They recycle them anyway, so I'm sure they wouldn't mind giving a few away!

hi,

those are all good suggestions, the only thing i worry about is putting poles between the tires.

cuz if the tires are even slightly heavy, they wont come out easily.

good luck@

i was on my way home from town today and i saw a girl jumping cross poles with a single tyre in the middle ie. the hores was jumping the single tyre. Is this not dangerous if the horses foot got caught?????????/

p.s. my dad works in plant hire so we have loads of tyres, barrles etc. !!!!!!!!

any ideas on how i could position the jumps (8) how many strides etc???

When i first got my pony I spent my days jumping fur trees that were dumped. they were the best ever. You got make the jump as high/wide as you like and if your pony hits then they feel. Plus at the end of the year when all the leaves feel off we sanded the trunk and had a good jump pole.

i made the jumps with the help of my dad three in total they turned out great one is just a barrle on its side the second my dad made it looks just like a bought one and can be raised to 4'' (i only ever jump 2''6' Bert is still getting the hang of jumping) and the last is made using crates as the wings . I used to have one made of hay but the ponies ate it . I'v hade lots of fun making them and jumping :D :) :p :) :D

i guess because theres a pole on top it's not as dangerous but i must admit, a lot of stables have a line of tyres as a jump including ours!!
yeah we have made our own jumps before not too hard just a bit of imagination, often really young kids are the best!!

i used to with my old pony put blankets and old coats on on poles it used to be great and desenitise her to things blowing about

love to send a pic but i'm not really able the colour comes out funny!!!! i cought one of the ponies eating some bark that had fallen off one of the poles about the size of my hand or bigger is this very bad for her i tried to pull it out but she had it swallowed she could have more eaten for all i know ???

OMG i have that magazine...i think..is it the same jumps they made for the 'dog show'...
you should see the jumps in the paddock i keep my pony in! LOL! Tyres, trees, brooms, mops, crates, pain cans, old sheets, towels, bright red and pink plastic table... my pony aint affraid of ANYTHING now!

newrider.com