Home made horse toys

J.Ems

Jul 9, 2016
Lancashire
Hi guys

So for the first time ever, I own a horse who seems to want to play! I've never had one which seemed interested before... and he does seem to have a cheeky personality and likes tipping things etc. He has a stable ball at the moment and a hanging likit toy but he has worked out how to pin it against a wall of his stable and then crunch through the likit... which is not a good idea for his tummy!!

Anyone make their own stable toys?

All suggestions welcome!! Even if its been a complete fail, we can have a giggle! xxxx

A plastic milk jug with stones in it, hanging from the stable roof seems to amuse them, though its noisy!
Apple bobbing in the water bucket used to amuse Bo for ages :D
I got hank a little yoga ball but he got bored of that pretty quickly :rolleyes:

Watch out with the likits, they are pure sugar and can do more than just upset tummies.

Last edited:
I can't remember how long you stable him for, but when my boy was on box rest he loved green branches of any sort tied to the ceiling. They were hard to eat but he managed!

I like the stones in a bottle idea @Jessey
Tried apple bobbing with Belle but she just locked onto it, stuck her head straight in, pinned it to the bottom and grabbed it with her teeth! Took her about ten seconds.
I like the branch idea too @Jane&Ziggy

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
Hey guys great suggestions so far...keep them coming!

@Jessey yeah exactly thats why his likits got confiscated haha.

@Jane&Ziggy he is put away at 3-4ish give or take an hour... and he's turned out at 6.30am (or 7.30am if we hack out first thing which we will do 4-5 times a week) during winter I'm guessing his stabling will be similar. Unfortunately it will all be in the dark :( so won't include an early morning hack!!

I put him away 3-4pm (I had started putting him away around 2pm but I just felt too guilty stabling him for so long) and stop with him until around 4.30pm with a haynet... and then I go back around 8pm to give him a feed and another haynet.

xx

newrider.com