Home made dressage/schooling arenas

Jul 15, 2005
Essex
I am thinking about making a schooling area with dressage letters in a separate area of my field. Fenced off with posts and electric tape.

For those of you who have done this, what did you use for marking out the arena? I am looking for something easily obtainable and not too expensive. May buy the dressage letters but want to make the shape of the arena too.

And how do you keep the grass down - do you let your horses in there to graze? :)

I just marked out the size and shape, and then keep the tracks mown. It's in their field, so yes, they graze it down and I mow it to keep it in good shape. Also, I add any wet shavings from their bedding to the track's surface to keep it from getting too hard packed in the summer (we wear through the grass on the outside track and our 20 m circles).

For markers I use 1 gallon white milk containers, with the letters spray-painted on. You can keep them filled with water so they don't move around too much. I don't need to fence the area off because I bring all four horses in to the upper paddock when we're riding, so it's just basically a mowed area of their regular field, but with markers around.

Thanks Kate. Do you have any markers other than letters, to show where the corners are? I won't be able to mow the tracks, as I can't get my lawnmower to the field! :p

Apparently it is supposed to be possible to mark an arena out with flour - for very short term use!

when i school in one of the back fields i use specific plants like "the one witht the big leaf it c" etc etc abit far fetched i know but it works.
we do have letters but its fidning something to stick them onto lol!

x

Yes - mark the corners first. You probably want to make use of whatever you happen to have around at the time. You won't really be using the corner markers after you've got going, because you'll wear a track in the field, and you'll be using your letter markers for accuracy. A short-term corner marker solution might be to paint some rocks white, for example, if you have rocks in the field anyway. I'm a bit wary of drainpipe or any other rolly thing that can be a hazard if stood on (and things that are going to have to be removed as trash at some stage).

The only thing that's really tricky is to get the corner angles right. It is really easy to make a parallelogram, rather than a rectangle. Well, strictly speaking, you WILL mark out a parallelogram, you just want it as close to a rectangle as possible. You need to use a bit of pythagoras to get your angles right. You remember the famous 3-4-5 triangle ? Any triangle with the lengths in the ration 3:4:5 will contain a right angle, so make one out of string. 3m, 4m, 5m works well - tie a loop exactly 12m long and mark it at 3m, 4m, and 5m. When you come to stake it out, you will have an exact right angle to put in your corner, and working form there, you can stake out your line to the next corner. When you've worked your way round all four corners, you'll be out by a little way but far less than youwould have been if you just do it by eye.

In fact that would be a neat experiment - mark out a 20 x 40 arena using a tape measure, but guessing at the angles, and then measure the two diagonals. They should both be the same - 44m 72cm - but I'd bet they'd be a long way from that.

I just put in fencing posts with electric tape.

Will have to get pics of it now since I put the posts in but basically is 50m X 30m and I plan to have it wooden fenced later on after my hols.

Before that I used traffic cones and tape and then shorter fenceing posts and tape but not as many and it was smaller more like 35m X 25m.

I just bought plyboard, painted it white with a black letter on it and varnished it the stuck it onto a peg in the ground.

Cows destroyed them tho and I never got around to replacing them

Nikki xxxxx:)

mine is also fenced with leccy tape and posts :) used to have it in the big field, but now i just run a single strip of fencing and fence off half my small field. yes, the horses do get to graze in there and have just finished grazing it down whilst being kept off the large field for it to be sprayed. we have the stubbs markers (inherited from previous tennant so didn't cost a penny :D) for school letters.

We have a 'riding paddock' which the horses graze to keep the grass down, but can be shut out of if needed. The schooling area is so well established the grass has totally worn away from the outside track so we have a clear line to follow. There's no boundary fence though. We have a set of letters on boards that can be stuck into the grass, but they don't get left out when they're not in use.

'Proper' dressage letters seem ridiculously expensive don't they?! I like Kate and Nics suggestions for diy. At my old RS they used to just print letters on A4 paper which they laminated and pinned to the fence posts.

Last edited:
newrider.com