Holly has the dreaded Laminitis

MissMare

Mar 6, 2008
Gutted, little ponio is waiting for the vet. The night before last I thought she looked a bit pottery coming for her dinner and was left behind by the others, I bought her into a small almost bare paddock, muzzled her and gave her some loose hay, with access to the stable and big bed. I took her muzzle off for a few hours yesterday and this morning she is no better. Pulses still up :( seems she has a full blown attack I haven't caught early enough so waiting for the vet and supps on order. I thought I had been so careful, seems the grass is uber sugary after our flush of rain :banghead: I hate grass!

Oh no sorry to hear this - poor Holly. Not sure what else to suggest or what I can say to help but hope the vet can do something magic to make it go away.

Oh no :( Fingers crossed you've caught it early enough and theres no major damage. A few horses have been feeling their feet at our place, I've had a muzzle back on Rio, it is the combination warm and wet after a dry spell.

My lami prone is muzzled 24/7 now and just bought a muzzle for the mini and considering muzzling my boy as he is looking a bit portly too.
Grazing off all the old grass just now and they get a foot morning and night on the strip. Its so tricky to manage and can come on so quickly so dont beat yourself up.
Fingers crossed its all on the up now x

Fingers crossed for Holly xx. When my mare had a bad attack a few years ago I gave her the NAF De-Tox supplement and this seemed to really help. I phoned their helpline and they advised giving her the double dose for the first couple of times. After that it was a case of box rest, bute and ACP tablets. My mare is muzzled and I plait the muzzle to her mane as she found she could get it off. However the mane has got quite short and last night when I went to bring her in her muzzle was at one end of the field and she was at the other:frown: She seemed ok this morning but I just hope she hasn`t got it off again today. The wet and warm weather is producing lots of new sugary grass.

Thanks for all your well wishes everyone :)

I've been a bit stuck really, I closed off an area that they ate down so short, I had to take muzzles off, as they were getting hungry without them on. I know this is the most sugary form of grass though when it is growing. The rest of my fields have been used for silage so out of bounds. They have now been cut and cleared, still long (by long I mean waist height) around the edges, so I wanted to have them in there muzzled, but then I saw the grass coming back all green and lush and thought they would be best electric taped in a smaller area, so they have been alternating. I need the farmer to help me do all the fence again really.

Lots of healing vibes for your pony. I will tell Joe (he's on box rest) so that he knows there are other ponies and horses confined to barracks! (presumably she will be kept in for a wee while?). Do hope she improves soon. Rotten lami - what a shame.

Lots of healing vibes for your pony. I will tell Joe (he's on box rest) so that he knows there are other ponies and horses confined to barracks! (presumably she will be kept in for a wee while?). Do hope she improves soon. Rotten lami - what a shame.

Junes confined to barricks tonight as well with part LGL and part poorly hip! Stupid grass :banghead:

Thanks everyone, vet has been and prescribed Sedalin, Danillon and a comfy stable and no grass for 1 month, which is what I was expecting. I feel sorry for her because I have had to shut the top door (she is in an airy barn though) because she climbs doors.

I ordered some Restore, Protexin gut balancer (although I might order the paste ones instead) she already has magnesium, and vet has advised her being on Formula for feet or TopSpec Anti Lam so going to decide which of these will be best. I checked she was ok with a combination of the lot, and will introduce them one at a time as having all that on top of Danillon and Sedalin can't be good for her little gut :(

I've been working out what work I can do in her stable tomorrow to keep her company!

Get well wishes to Joe and June too :) sorry if I missed anyone else. and I don't like shouting, but needs must

I HATE GRASSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead::devil::banghead:

Thanks Jane, I have only just logged on so will hopefully read a good update for Ziggy soon.

Holly is surprisingly well in herself. I bought Rhi in to spend some time with her earlier, I can tell she is lonely already - it is how she is, she gets down without company, so will take my laptop and work from her stable tomorrow. :wub: I am sure she will be ok, but I know she is prone to depression and don't want her to go down that route. (If you knew this pony you would understand).

I just emailed her owner, Holl is on full time loan from someone. In my eyes, for life, and I think from her owners. But.. her owner is having so many problems with her horses atm that I am seriously considering buying her, if her owner would allow it. I love this pony so much (like more than a loan companion pony should have ended up) and am actually scared for the first time that she might be taken away. I feel like I failed her, just hope her owner doesn't think that. Oh I am being silly. I suppose it has just been a realisation of how much she means to me. (It also always makes me a bit mad that she wasn't around when I was six, I tell my mum off about this all the time :giggle:)

don't beat yourself up, plenty of us have been caught out despite being so careful with management.

Acorn used to get depressed if kept in, we can't keep him in even if he has a lammi episode (complications left over from his first attack) so he goes out during the day and in at night - I half sanded his little paddock which reduced the ammout of grass he could get at - I can eleminate it altogether
but found giving him a small bit kept him interested but not enough to cause a problem as his main diet was hay, his was winter lammi so did not have the issues of growing fresh shoots and the problems that brings, grass does not seem too much of an issue for Acorn as a trigger but we restrict anyway for weight which obviously would not help. Depression in itself can be a trigger and certainly can hinder recovery - Acorns not big enough to try getting out over stable doors but Charlie is - we have an anti weave grill in which means if he has to be in he can look out but not get out - my neighbour uses a stable stall guard on the top section of hers which seems to work but again can't get head over so she put a window space in the back big enough for
him to look out .

I do feel for you the first week is always the worst IMO for both of you, have you an area non grass that could turn out in - or has vet insisted on box rest and no turnout or just no grass?

Do hope all goes well for you both

newrider.com