Holly, Hackney mare - Cornwall, gone without trace!

vonny

Vonny
Oct 23, 2007
West Sussex
Hi All,
Forgive me for posting so directly as I'm a relative newbie on here. I'm desperately trying to trace my old mare. I fell upon some hard times about 6 yrs ago & gave her away to a breeder in North Cornwall (Tom Kelly). The understanding was that if he didn't want her anymore, he'd offer her back but approx. 2 yrs ago I heard he'd unexpectedly died & all his stock had been sold onto local dealers I think in Truro area (?).

She is 15.3hh, bay with an odd shaped blaze and weaved badly. I believed she had some foals when in Cornwall. I'd owned her from a yearling to the age of 12, broke her in & did loads with her etc. She was freezemarked but the freezemark people have no trace of current owners (I know a lot don't re-register them). She was fairly ratty to other horses but was polite and kind although fairly lively to handle & ride. She'd now be 18.

I know it's pathetic but I'm tormented that she may be starving in a field somewhere or could've had a one way trip to Europe if you know what I mean(!). I miss her terribly & would love to know any news at all, even if not so good. Always had the hope of getting her home someday but I know the chances are remote so would just like to hear her story.
I've tried:
!) Calling all the vets in Truro, no trace
2) Freezemark
3) Doing various internet searches for names & breed etc.

Please get back to me if you have any other suggestions.
Thanks to all who've read this far x :confused:

Hi , do you have any photos of her you could post, that would really help esp with the blaze shape....if rugged they might not be able to see the freezemark:) good luck with the hunt

Photos of that odd blaze would be a help.

Was she registered, have you got a registered name for her?

Have you tried the driving fraternity?

Can you find out through the solicitors who wound up his estate and then maybe find out which dealers bought what.

Hi there. A photo would be great so I can see what she looks like.
Never give up, I had a similar thing happen with my mare but we put adverts in the local horse magazine and in tack shops and her owner contacted us to say she'd bought her from the people we sold her to. I've now bought her back after a good couple of years searching. Good luck!
I'm in cornwall so will keep my eyes peeled! Any more info and photos would help

Thanks, her reg'd name is "Fair Charming Lady" & she was bred by Mr Nathan Smith in Bushey, Herts. I bought her from him as a yearling. I don't know much about the driving world as I've always been more riding orientated.

I really regret letting her go.

I'm in Bushey: if I can help by asking around in case she came back his way, let me know. (Smith is a well known traveller family round here)

Last edited:
I own a Hollie, odd-blazed, 18 year old, but she stands at 15hh and is a Clydesdale X

I hope you managed to trace her though

newrider.com