Hogging mane

Sharleen82

Mar 9, 2021
Hi guys,

I joined today to get a bit of general advice really.

I want to hog my 15.2 cob with clippers but have tried once before when I first had him but he wasn’t that amenable and quite head shy. So took to doing it with scissors to which sometimes he looked like he’d been hacked at by a 2 year old.

I’ve now had him for coming on 4 years and he’s no longer head shy and more confident. I want to start hogging him with clippers as doing it with scissors is hard on my little hands and want him to look handsome not like he’s had a fight with a blade.

I’m thinking of purchasing low noise clippers such as the liveryman whisper or liveryman harmony, does anyone have any experience with these.

I understand there’s going to be a lot of desensitising done before I get to clip him but would welcome any advice or tips.

Many thanks

Hello, welcome :) . I had the liveryman harmony - I didn't find them particularly quiet, though they were good clippers. Certainly couldn't get near my cob with them, though they never bothered my forester.

I must say that when i hogged my lad 2 years ago i did it with scissors. It did look messy but i just accepted it. We werent doing any shows or anything. He will not tolerate clipping at all though. He is also head shy. I got barrelled for my last clipping attempt on him.
Im contemplating hogging him again this year. Scissors all the way for me though. I need to chat up a hairdresser or dog groomer whose good at scissoring i reckon.

My lad will just be getting hogged to let it grow straight out unless i can learn how to scissor hog.
Sorry im no help, ive only got lister star which are noisy.
My vet tried clipping with some very quiet clippers for an injury. We had to double the sedation. Some horses are just too sensitive.

newrider.com