Hogan now on serious diet!

We're 20kg to go until I'm happy with his weight. I'm pleased at how well he's handling it - hasn't been "hangry" at all!

Yes - I know the tape isn't that accurate, but at least I have a fair idea of what's coming off.
Ditto. We had the Top Spec rep come to our yard last August with her horse scales and I was so proud that Gracie had been on restricted grazing all summer until she stepped on the scales and came in at 625kg!! šŸ˜³ I was absolutely appalled and instantly took a good, hard look at her.... then hung my head in shame. Paddock was reduced in size further and by the time I went to camp in October, where there was another rep and another set of scales, she was down to 595kg.

But.... when she was 625, I immediately weigh-taped her and it actually correlated quite closely, telling me that she was 618kg. So I've been using my tape weekly now as a reference. She's had mainly drops, a few gains but is currently around 530kg on the tape. Her lowest was 521. Everyone is trying me that she's looking good now, so we're getting into the right zone.

Ditto. We had the Top Spec rep come to our yard last August with her horse scales and I was so proud that Gracie had been on restricted grazing all summer until she stepped on the scales and came in at 625kg!! šŸ˜³ I was absolutely appalled and instantly took a good, hard look at her.... then hung my head in shame. Paddock was reduced in size further and by the time I went to camp in October, where there was another rep and another set of scales, she was down to 595kg.

But.... when she was 625, I immediately weigh-taped her and it actually correlated quite closely, telling me that she was 618kg. So I've been using my tape weekly now as a reference. She's had mainly drops, a few gains but is currently around 530kg on the tape. Her lowest was 521. Everyone is trying me that she's looking good now, so we're getting into the right zone.
Thanks for sharing that - makes me feel better! How tall is she? Hogans only 13hh, and I'm finding it doubly hard to reconcile his weight, after dainty NF Ramsey! I have schooled myself not to compare the two, but its hard.

I think what the tape shows doesn't matter that much, it's the change that matters. I dread to think what Sid might weigh, he is 15hh of lump.

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy
Its funny isn't it how they carry weight so differently. Jess was 546 on the tape, but on scales the same day she was 602kg! and there was me thinking she only needed to loose 20-30kgs. My vet likes her body condition when she's sub the 500 mark on the tape.

Reactions: Trewsers
Hogan came out of winter (Yes - winter!) at 530. I've got him down to 456 and I'd like him down to 420 ish. I can feel his ribs now, though can't see them. He's still on virtually no grass, on a small area, but there's still plenty of poo, so he's by no means hard done by. This last 20 or so kgs are proving slow to shift, but we'll get there, I hope.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
I must get myself a tape. I have no idea what my two are. When i was at the yard i use to get the tape out to measure chunky. Cant remember what it came up at. From what ive read they arent necessarily accurate. I guess its a bit like us, it depends where we lay up the extra pounds. Boobs, tums or bums.

At least it would be a gauge and one could decide if you are happy with that measurement.

Just wondering if you could measure the horse with a piece of rope. There must be a chart somewhere on the internet that tells you what the inches conversion is if you dont have a tape.

I must get myself a tape. I have no idea what my two are. When i was at the yard i use to get the tape out to measure chunky. Cant remember what it came up at. From what ive read they arent necessarily accurate. I guess its a bit like us, it depends where we lay up the extra pounds. Boobs, tums or bums.

At least it would be a gauge and one could decide if you are happy with that measurement.
I have one like this (hope the link works).

newrider.com