Hogan now on serious diet!

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I'm not even going to put what weight he is, because it's embarrassing, but suffice to say, the vet commented, although not overly worried, that he should lose a bit before spring. So - 1st pic, and we'll see how he goes - encouragement please!Screenshot_20210130-153004_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: Jessey
He's gorgeous! Just shown Mr T and he agrees he's a splendid looking character! I'm sure you'll do fine if he's on weight watchers - it's slow and steady wins the day every time isn't it. Lots of encouraging vibes to you. I just hope he doesn't get hangry lol (sorry, shouldn't say that should I?!!!).

Reactions: Huggy
Not going to comment on the poor lad's weight but what a handsome boy he is ? I thought he was a cob but surely that's a Fell or a Dale's head?
That's exactly what the vet said! He's definitely pure Irish cob, as I have his passport. I think he looks like a fell too, a fat one!

Nowhere near as bad as my two.
Thank you thank you thank you!! I've been getting really worried about his weight, even though he's not at all cresty, the thought of him going onto spring grass at that weight makes me panic. He's lost a bit in a week, so I'll confess his present weight when we get down a few ( a lot) kilos.

He's gorgeous! Just shown Mr T and he agrees he's a splendid looking character! I'm sure you'll do fine if he's on weight watchers - it's slow and steady wins the day every time isn't it. Lots of encouraging vibes to you. I just hope he doesn't get hangry lol (sorry, shouldn't say that should I?!!!).
? he already is!

Reactions: Trewsers
I still can't see pictures, so can't comment on his weight but you're doing the right thing by addressing it now :)

If you want any additional help or support I can highly recommend CARE Equine Education on FB. Run by two lovely, lovely vets who ran the Care About Laminitis project a few years ago and so full of advice, support and webinars.

Last edited:
I still can't see pictures, so can't comment on his weight but you're doing the right thing by addressing it now :)

If you want any additional help or support I can highly recommend CARE Equine Education on FB. Run by two lovely, lovely vets who ran the Care About laminitis project a few years ago and so full of advice, support and webinars.
Thanks. If the weight doesn't shift,I may need them!

Led him out today, as he's being a bit naughty just now. Worked in my favour, as he's very forward atm, and is really walking and trotting up nicely.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
That's exactly what the vet said! He's definitely pure Irish cob, as I have his passport. I think he looks like a fell too, a fat one!
Well, I had to google 'Irish Cob' as I realised I didn't actually know what one was. I've heard the term of course but didn't actually know anything about them. I was really surprised to learn that Irish Cob is another name for Gypsy Vanner, I had never, ever, made the connection before! Also found out that Shires, Clydesdales, Fells and Dales were used to create the breed, which explains the wide variation in heights. Absolutely fascinating, so thanks for prompting me to educate myself ?

Battling weight is something I always have to do with Ben. The grazing muzzle will have to come out in the spring as it is the only thing that really works. When he was sound I used to ride him twice a day and he got really toned. I am considering doing that this year although the pace will be much slower as we stick to mainly walking these days due to his arthritis. I’m not sure if 2 hours walking him would help the arthritis or be too much for him? I guess the only way to find out is to try it.

I wish I could use the muzzle - worked with Ramsey, but Hogan nearly hit the roof when I took it in the stable.

No used to be like that with the muzzle, it was always a battle to get it on but he was absolutely fine with it once on.

newrider.com