Hock treatment for Storm

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Well, vet has been - it wasn't quite as bad as we initially thought. On flexion she was nowhere near as stiff as he'd anticipated. Checking back in her notes he saw that it was particularly the right one that was worst so looks like it's progressed somewhat but we're going to try injections into the hocks next week. We've decided not to try Cartrophen again as I wasn't convinced that it did make a dramatic difference. Bute was discussed as an option but we are going to see what next week's treatment brings. The overall cost is not quite as bad as I'd worried about - probably looking at about £250 all in, so it's worth it to get her back to being comfortable in walk when ridden. We discussed what I wanted to do with her work wise, and as I only want very light schooling we are quite hopeful that this will yield some results. He did say that it would come and go (as I mentioned that only a few days ago she was seemingly improving). We also discussed a different supplement. So much information - think I'm going to write it all down before I forget!!!

Fabulous news Trews, glad her prognosis is good and it's not as bad as feared - yippee all round! Go Storm! x

Thanks! Bless her, she ran to the back of her stable when vet appeared. I think she was convinced she was going to get jabbed or her teeth done....lol She's only just forgiven me for worming her last night too!!! :tongue:

Glad to hear its not as bad as first feared!!

Will continue to keep everything crossed for you and Stormy :)

Glad to hear it's not as bad as you thought and you have some treatments!! What supplements did your vet recommend?

May is the same age as Storm and got diagnosed with arthritis in both fronts last year.. We never xrayed the back but think it's probably in all of them to some degree, she is up and down and I manage it with bute as when she needs it, like for the farrier, but just at the moment she is struggling slightly more than she has been just the last couple of weeks and I do think the weather is taking its toll, she's out as much as possible under vets advice but there is no let up from the slipping and sliding when they are moving anywhere.. Hopefully it will keep dry for a few more days and they will all start feeling a bit better!

Glad to hear it's not as bad as you thought and you have some treatments!! What supplements did your vet recommend?

May is the same age as Storm and got diagnosed with arthritis in both fronts last year.. We never xrayed the back but think it's probably in all of them to some degree, she is up and down and I manage it with bute as when she needs it, like for the farrier, but just at the moment she is struggling slightly more than she has been just the last couple of weeks and I do think the weather is taking its toll, she's out as much as possible under vets advice but there is no let up from the slipping and sliding when they are moving anywhere.. Hopefully it will keep dry for a few more days and they will all start feeling a bit better!

He mentioned Cortavet and Nutraquin (not sure I've spelt those correctly).

Is there any side effects with the hock injection T?

I chose to manage with bute at the time as everything they could offer could give Minnie lami and I didn't want the risk

Is there any side effects with the hock injection T?

I chose to manage with bute at the time as everything they could offer could give Minnie lami and I didn't want the risk

There is a tiny risk (like any procedure ) of lami and infection. Storm has not suffered with lami so vet said she is extremely low risk. The infection of course could happen to any horse which is why she'll be monitored and stabled for two days (he did say she could have a wander on the concrete on the yard under supervision which isn't too bad). I am trying to not worry too much about what could happen - if it helps her then its got to be worth a try. Still, I'll probably be watching her like a mother-hen come next week after she's had them. Good job I can pop out in the middle of the night if need be!!! :giggle:

Really glad it's not as bad as it could have been. At least there are things you can try to work around. And stop beating yourself up about asking her to work the other night. You weren't to know she would be uncomfortable.

These things vary day to day. My old share Connie had very similar issues. He was 17 then, with hock issues. His owners wanted him to do light regular work as it helped him. She did have injections for him, but could only afford the one series. After that she had some exercises to do with him (don't know what, sadly), and just managed him with awareness.

He enjoyed a potter, and was sometimes pretty feisty if he was feeling good. I got to 'feel' how he was. Sometimes a bit stiff and clicky, then we just pootled round quietly in walk. Other times (usually when it was warm and the air dry) he could be sublimely responsive and a real revelation to ride. He's still going strong, and must be well over 20 now. He even went out on loan last year. You should have seem him gallop across the moor - boy, that pony could shift!

You are so careful with your horse care you will be very aware of how Storm is on any given day. Don't write her off as a ridden horse too soon. You may be really surprised how many good days she can have!

He enjoyed a potter, and was sometimes pretty feisty if he was feeling good. I got to 'feel' how he was. Sometimes a bit stiff and clicky, then we just pootled round quietly in walk. Other times (usually when it was warm and the air dry) he could be sublimely responsive and a real revelation to ride. He's still going strong, and must be well over 20 now. He even went out on loan last year. You should have seem him gallop across the moor - boy, that pony could shift!

You are so careful with your horse care you will be very aware of how Storm is on any given day. Don't write her off as a ridden horse too soon. You may be really surprised how many good days she can have!

Thanks - that's encouraging:smile:

I am glad its not as bad as expected. I think like the vet said, these things come and go. I am sure she will be ok when the weather improves.

Have you tried Cortaflex on a regular basis? I haven't used it but some people have told me its very effective.

Glad things aren't looking as bad as you thought, hopefully the injections will last a good while. Cortavet is a much higher strength version of Cortaflex, I had my two on it at great expense but now use Cosequin, which is even more expensive :help: All definitely helps, I also give the odd bute /danilon after work if they've done a lot, and I also feed turmeric. Fingers crossed for you :)

All you can do is try and keep her comfy for as long as you can and in the end if you have to give her loads of Danilon or whatever to maintain her quality of life then so be it. Glad that it isn't that bad and hopefully she'll have a long period being comfy..

The weather doesn't help - we built a big yard when we moved and the donkeys have spent most of the winter on it, ambling in and out of stables and mooching around. Some days the old cobs don't fancy going out and stay there too. At least it is a solid firm surface and they can potter.

It's awfully hard in the winter to provide for everything isn't it? I used to have a sand school and it was invaluable as they could have a buck and fart and then eat hay on it - it was a life saver at times.

Have you tried Cortaflex on a regular basis? I haven't used it but some people have told me its very effective.

She's been on Cortaflex for a few weeks now, it has helped but the vet has said there is one similar but stronger. I am going to google and do some research.....:nerd:

newrider.com