Hobbies/relaxation ideas

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
I am getting cabin fever now I'm not physically mobile enough to do much more than lead/groom the horses. I'm not good at sitting doing nothing! I get bored with box sets of DVDs. I do read a lot but can't do that endlessly. I am doing pregnancy yoga but the workout I do at home is only 30 minutes. When I get bored, I stress about lots of silly things from what will happen at work when I'm on mat leave to baby coming early before I'm ready for it. I know stress can trigger premature labour so need a few easy, indoor hobbies as my pelvis can't cope with outdoor stuff! Any ideas?

Reactions: MrA
Get yourself a puzzle book. I'm useless at cross words and cryptic stuff but it keeps the brain working. I use to do them lots when I was younger but this computer technology and lifestyle means that I dont do them much now.

Swimming? As someone who's been used to being active it might be nice to maintain a bit of gentle exercise and get out of the house a bit. I swam practically up to giving birth, it was the only thing I could do that still felt fairly normal because the baby bump was supported by the water. I didn't have horses when I was having my children but can imagine that the challenge of just bending in the middle would severely hamper activities!

Are you a creative soul? I love to paint, I'm not great at it but for me it opens up a world of expression and is very relaxing.
If not how about making something, knit something for your baby? Or make some little gifts for birthdays/christmas whatever.

Paracord braiding is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, you can make all kinds of horsey things, halters, bridles, ropes/reins etc. Supplies are cheap and there's lots of videos on you tube to learn from :)

Reactions: eventerbabe
Mindfulness colouring for adults.
Taking photos of any that catches your attention.
Lose yourself in some music.

The obvious- come here and talk to us.

Yes I was thinking about colouring books. I really got into them in a big way when we were in the process of selling the house and they kept me sane because I felt powerless to do much apart from exist and do the horses. I got a lovely horsey one too.
And yeah, music too!!!!

Paracord braiding is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, you can make all kinds of horsey things, halters, bridles, ropes/reins etc. Supplies are cheap and there's lots of videos on you tube to learn from :)

That sounds interesting. I must google this!

Reactions: Jessey
Some great ideas! I've not done anything hugely crafty since our wedding a few years ago. Anything that will stop me form focussing on negatives and wiggling out over "what ifs" would help

Have you been to the NHS website for better exercise ideas?
My lovely obs daughter sent me this link. http://fittamamma.com
When I clicked on it, It initally looked like a marketing place for sports clothes but she says one of her colleagues used this site while pregnant. If it isnt any help nor what you are looking for, please say.
I get the feeling that unless there is a medical reason for sitting about at home, she feels it is good to be active, expecially if you are used to being active round the horses.
Both me and my daughters also belonged the the National Childbirth Trust local groups.

Knitting is wonderful meditation, and then you have a sweater.

Crochet is more portable. I'm rubbish at it but it's great for making fly bonnets for horses.
I love knitting, used to knit while I was watching tv.
Can’t crochet for love nor money though.

I used to enjoy making model planes etc as a kid and when I was looking after a tiny baby I put together and painted a plastic toy Napoleonic soldier. Still have him tho he has lost his sword. I intended to move on to a cavalry man with a horse but never did.
I made a lot of dolls clothes while our girls were young and for my own dolls too. Does anyone else do that as I could do with advice if you have ever made a trad school uniform tunic.
I knitted two Shetland shawls tho not while pregnant and not for my own kids.
Since I have had internet and a computer most of the time I do genealogy to relax.

Reactions: Trewsers
I love my Doll's house, don't do as much with it these days, but it's great fun "decorating" each room and filling it with furniture and paintings. I don't have dolls in mine though, various Wind in the Willows characters and the odd tiny horse or bear.:)

I'm not a fan of hours as in the flesh, but I love the app on my tablet! I usually do one as part of my wind down when I get onto bed at night. I like the versatility of being able to choose how many pieces and whether they are rotated.

When I was bored last year, waiting for saddles, I got into hand-stitching little felt decorations for the Christmas tree. You can buy kits.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com