Hobbies for boys

When my son was 4 he went to a Karate class and on rainy weekends we would play with marble madness a lot. We also built wooden railways and roads using tracks and things from Ikea and Wooden World (Early Learning Centre).

We don;t do hobbies at weekends, we do family time together. Our favourite cheap activity is Geocaching. I can highly recommend it.

The problem i have is he gets very tired after school during the weeks so a hobbies then is out of the question.

Weekends my daughter has Pony Club and spends time up the yard with Mouse. My son doesn't really want to do this, so i'm trying to find something he can do with his dad on a Saturday where he doesn't have to be up the yard. My OH keeps moaning at me because our daughter has a hobby but our son doesn't and he doesn't think it's fair.

Sundays are our family days.

My 4 year old son has a swimming lesson on Saturday morning. He likes the spend the afternoon riding his bike round the village (with me running after him with my toddler on his pushalone trike). He enjoys anything outdoors - football, running around aimlessly etc. He also loves cooking and will happily spend 2 hours with me making cakes etc.

Recently he has got very much into arts and crafts. Tomorrow his school is on strike so we are going to spend the day making hand made decorations. He loves drawing, cutting, sticking etc.

He loves dressing up and role play. We often all play shops, priates, police etc. - whatever he demands we pretend to be. If I paint his face in the morning, he stays in character all day long.

On Sundays we normally have a family day out to the zoo or country park etc. We have season tickets to about 3 places so rotate which ones we go to. When I have worn him out (which takes a LOT), I get to go riding!

Football would be my suggestion. Both my boys have played for the local team, and as your daughter has an outdoor activity it would be good to get your son outside too. It tends not to be too serious when they are very young, but still a constructive coach rather than a shouty coach does help...

I think that my son is too young to have a hobby as such . As and when he is ready I can see him joining a football team, but at the moment he is happy being entertained by us. School leaves him very tired by the weekends and he needs time away from structured activies so he can wind down.

My 3 year old does swimming and football :smile:.
And he says he wants to do gymnastics too :spin:

newrider.com