Hmmmm... horse asks a question?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
How do I leg yield? my mum is asking me to do this, but I keep doing a side ways step, then rein back.. I'm getting frustrated, I know she's asking me to do something, but I'm getting the two exercises mixed up:help:

I don't need to use a fence for this trick:wink: She gets me to halt, then asks me for a sideward step, which then becomes walking backwards.. I'm much better at this, as before, I just stood there and watched her doing a lot of nudging, shuffling, squeezing, and when I walked forward, she said "NO":unsure:...:banghead: I thought "For goodness sake! Make your mind up!" and decided that stamping my foot in temper was the way to go:giggle:

How do I leg yield? my mum is asking me to do this, but I keep doing a side ways step, then rein back.. I'm getting frustrated, I know she's asking me to do something, but I'm getting the two exercises mixed up:help:

Hebe says: maybe your mum is using too strong a contact - that's what's making you want to go backwards. You could try pulling the reins out of her hands - maybe she'll get the message. :wink:

erm -- can you get your mum to remember that the FIRST things about ANY lateral moves are "calm" and "forward" -- doing any lateral work from the halt is VERY hard and confusing -- so ask her to walk you forwards nice and briskly, and then just ask for you to do a sideways move while walking -- that will be MUCH clearer to you anbd totally avoid that backing up thing

it is sometimes easier to do if you trot, by the way so ask her to try then too

good luck -- they can be slow but they mean well! (that's what I tell myself) -- must go as my mums coming back to the house and she doesn't know I can type!

Evie

My mum makes me do that, I just have to remind her to keep a soft contact that I can work forwards into, and that it is more about forwards that it is about sideways. I object occasionally when she gets it wrong - until she puts her inside leg on the girth and uses her outside leg for "forwards" - I say "No thanks!!"
Love Alfie xx

Up until a week ago, I didn't know what reverse was:giggle: I was doing canter exercises yesterday, and a bit of transition work.. I soooo wanted to oblige in canter, and took off an any opportunity.. hence, every time I came back to trot, it was a power trot:giggle: I'm getting better in canter:smug: I'm more balanced and don't feel as though I'm going to fall in at the corners..

newrider.com