Hit me with your top tips for SJ comp...

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
Right. I've had some lessons, I've practiced between lessons, and I've paid my entry fee... I'm jumping 1' and 1'3 on Friday at a showjumping comp at my yard. So no travelling, just going up first thing and getting him in, sprucing him up a bit, and I'm planning on plaiting him up (had a trial run the other day and that went ok!)

I have never competed before. I'd never even jumped until 3 weeks ago. I'm going to be up against a lot of teenagers. And at least one pony on a lead rein. :p

I think I'm the most apprehensive about jumping an entire course (I can point him at anything and he'll jump it, but unfortunately he cannot read numbers ;)).

So, tips and advice welcome- tips for remembering a course, tips for calming nerves, tips for turning him out well... tips for turning me out well :D (have navy show jacket, white jods, white show shirt and pre-tied stock, body protector, long boots, navy hat, stock pin, I have long (bra-strap length) hair... what's the done thing?), what colour saddle cloth/ears? I have white or mint green, or purple (all matchy matchy)...

All help/advice gratefully appreciated! Also doing dressage test on Monday at pony camp!

Here's a vid of us from yesterday...

This is the day I tried him out, it shows off his colour the best... he's got 4 white socks/blaze and he's a bay.View media item 25100
Thank you!

Reactions: domane and joellie
I'm the last person to offer advice as I haven't jumped a course since 198???, and that was only at the local RS on a school pony!

Deep breaths. I find a sharp, quick deep intake of breath then slow release really helps - repeat a few times.
Sit up, sit back and look where you are going.
Take your time. It's fine to trot between fences so you can check where to next, then maybe just canter a few strides in
REMEMBER IT'S MEANT TO BE FUN & ENJOY YOURSELF!!

Flash is gorgeous :)

I'm no show jumper either, but I've done a few little courses for fun. Can't really think of anything useful to add to @selside's excellent advice, except maybe to pay attention to your lines when walking the course - ie work out how deep you need to go into corners to be straight for the next fence, so you know when to turn. I see people pacing out strides between fences, but I was never at the stage where I was able to plan my paces in advance lol. My downfall is the breathing - I've come out of a round feeling really sick and then realised it was because I'd been holding my breath for so long!

Hope you take the advice and enjoy it and post pictures of the proof afterwards!

Reactions: HaloHoney
Tip one is smile, it makes for the best photos!

At that height it isn't about jumping it's about getting round in the right order & ideally not turning so tight that the horse doesn't see the fence. So learn your course & ideally watch someone else go round it. As you land over one fence look for the next one. Don't get carried away & ride hell for leather into them as then you might get a run out, and remember that at this height if he slows down ton stop he can jolly well go over from a walk or even a standstill. I wouldn't worry about striding, just have a nice bouncy canter &he'll sort that out for you.

Have fun :)

Thanks for all the tips!

In a previous life he has BSJ winnings and can jump 1.10 with his eyes shut & probably standing on his head...

Just hoping he won't be humiliated by doing the baby stuff with me. ;)

Watching him in jump lessons with other riders has been interesting- hearing the instructor shouting "ohhhhh he got you out of trouble there didn't he?!" - such and honest and kind horse. I genuinely couldn't ask for a better steed. I'm soppy about the boy too.

There's a girl who rides him in lessons (her shared horse is ridden by his owner in same lesson) who had been riding a green 17.2hh Sports Horse that does a striking impression of a kick-along cob, and seeing her get on Flash and say "I just hope he'll go forward for me." And get off 45-minutes later with a face-splitting grin saying "Ohhh WOW!" - if he has the legs for it, I've offered her the ride for a couple of the bigger classes. I'd like to see him do it, so I can see what I'll be doing next time. :D

I will absolutely be getting the photos, including any where I'm going over the handlebars, or (far more likely) exiting via the side door. :p

Thanks again!

Reactions: Jessey
Don't worry too much at that height you can just trot round if you want. Walk your course, twice. I remember jumps by colours. Sit up, leg on and look where you want to go.

Turnout, most people don't plait for show jumping but if you want to you can, there's no rules on it. I wouldn't bother with a stock, just a show shirt, I only wear a stock for hunting or if I got into an evening performance showing, too much faff but again wear it if you want. Can have your hair how ever you want for show jumping, preferably neat and tidy though. Could put it in a bun? The eventers will tell you need a hairnet, you don't :p

Lovely big horse, is he yours or the riding schools?

My biggest bit of advice is to use the whole area that you have and don't cut corners. Jumps come up very quickly when riding a course so try and make sure you give yourself as much time and space as you possibly can. I always try to look 'beyond' the jump and not at it when I am jumping because if you focus too much on the jump it can make you look down as you approach it. Sit with your shoulders back into a steady canter and your horse will do the rest. Above all, enjoy it. It is great fun jumping a proper course.

As for turnout, I personally always plait and wear full show gear at all the shows I attend, but as long as you are reasonably neat and tidy it doesn't matter too much. I enjoy getting my horse ready and making him look the part so always put in the extra effort. I would go for a colourful saddle pad, the purple sounds nice. I would put your hair into a hairnet. Apart from anything else it keeps it out of the way as I find there is nothing more annoying then my hair going down the back of my show jacket!

He's mine. :D

He's a 16.2 Dutch Warmblood/ISH cross. I love him- not only because he is teaching me a hell of a lot, but also because he's so kind. :)

He's gorgeous, it sounds like you're going to have lots of fun with him!

You might want to wear gloves. I don't know if you do usually. Any dark colour or navy to match your hat or to match your boots.
The two classes might be the same with the heights changed so you only need to walk the course once for both classes, but check.
They might go straight onto the jump off, i prefer this to be honest. Just ride round again :)

No tips on remembering as more than 8 I get a brain freeze, even if I set it up!

You might want to wear gloves. I don't know if you do usually. Any dark colour or navy to match your hat or to match your boots.
The two classes might be the same with the heights changed so you only need to walk the course once for both classes, but check.
They might go straight onto the jump off, i prefer this to be honest. Just ride round again :)

No tips on remembering as more than 8 I get a brain freeze, even if I set it up!

I usually wear brown gloves to match my boots. I think it is same course twice- just with poles up a bit higher.

There are 9 fences. LOL.

Am considering wearing my GoPro when walking the course so I can watch it back before I have to ride it!

Reactions: newforest
I think at this level, just go in and have fun.

Walk the course and your lines, but focus on establishing a rhythm, riding your lines and corners well

If it's being organised by a RS it will naturally tend itself towards fun and progression than being super competitive so have lots of fun :)

I know it sounds stupid make sure you eat though. Riding on an empty stomachs the wost bring lots of water have a long sleep.

You have jumped a short course so should be fine.
It looks like a nice school and he has a steady canter.
Enjoy.

newrider.com