Hit And Run

Dinsarsio

Aug 16, 2006
Wrexham North Wales
www.freewebs.com
I read an article this week in the racing post about a a horse who was hit by a car and taken 70 yards down the road on the bonnet.The horse was destroyed before the vet arrived because he injuries were so severe.
The rider is tramatised.He was with another horse but that was okay.
Police are questioning a man.:eek:

Last April my cob Sion and i were hit by a car head on.We were stationary at the time .Sion reared over the bonnet after being hit and cantered off down the road.I hit the ground then the car hit my back and bottom of my kneck.My first thought was the horse.I got up hobbled screaming and phoning my hubby.Sion was shaken and bruised but no damage.I told the driver to stay put whilst i caught sion.But he didn`t.So i got the police involved.Described the car the driver and some of the reg number.Over a year on someone has heard a fella bragging in a pub saying he stashed the car after hitting a horse,but the leads have come to nothing.
My confidence is still not 100% but a lot better than last year.I put sion up for sale after,although he was good in traffic and the accident didn`t faze him it did me and he knew it, i couldn`t ride him.
After alot of help from my friend Abbiegirl,my sister and my hubby i have regained my confidence.I am so glad i didn`t sell sion.We do dressage go out in the trap go hacking etc.
I don`t go hacking on my own but i have plenty of friends to go out with.I have never been back down the lane i was run into.

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC00706.jpg
    DSC00706.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Image023.jpg
    Image023.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 37
Awww poor you! :eek: Me and Abbiegirl went on a hack through that road the other week - its so narrow and quiet! Some people are so stupid regarding horses, they don't realise how unpredictable they are, and how much space they need - especially sion!!! :D
At least you are both ok, and have regained confidence to go back on the road - if i'd have had a knock like that, I wouldn't be able to go on the road with a horse!
Regards to the owner of the horse that was hit this week. It must be really hard to face losing your horse after some pathetic driver that takes no consideration thinks he can rule the road :mad:
But apart from wearing hi-viz, what else can horse riders do to show awareness to drivers?!
CF06 xxx :)

it took a long time to get your confidence back but you and sion are inseperable now and i know he is priceless to you!:) i-m so glad you didn-t sell him. i much prefer a relaxing carriage ride with sion than a verrry faaast drive with dinky! lol! just like to say well done x :)

This happened just down the road from me, bloody awful some drivers are here but that is criminal, I hope that he gets locked up but it will probably will be community service

this also happened a year or so ago to one of the lads at the racing yard. The horse was put down and the jockey will probably never ride again. Hes a changed guy now.
the trainer has since built some off road tracks for walking to the gallops and back.

My Dad was driving our friends really promising young trot horse on the road when a car slammed straight into their side, shattering the horses front leg so badly it had to be pts on the spot. The driver escaped from the scene, but as it happened on a small village, Dad recognised the car and he was later caught.

This was a young man who had just got his drivers licence and was "testing how fast his car can go". What an idiot!!!

I used to ride on the roads quite a lot when I was young but I just don't dare to do it anymore. The people on the roads just don't seem to have any respect towards us on horses!

Nina x

I used to ride on the roads a lot - Hyde Pk Corner and other roads but I dont go on them now. Stick to riding round the fields and the 2 schools where Falcon is. Bit limiting but it's safe.

newrider.com