His feet look awful!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Ales front feet are crumbling terribly suddenly. I've asked my farrier and he's just said it must be the weather. Any ideas of anything I can feed to try and help?? I feed pro hoof supplement in a pinch of hi-fi. Maybe I need to clean his feet more often?? Ignore the purple was trying to make it stand out more! IMAG0165_1_1.jpg

It looks like they have given around the old nail holes :(
The progressive earth Pro Hoof supplement seems to be the one everyone raves about and I did notice improvement in Jess's feet when she had it, unfortunately even getting half a dose down her was hard work and I don't want to have to feed loads come summer just to get it into her so I didn't order a second bag.
Since having such a great result with Jess (not trying to jinx ourselves, crossing everything and knocking on every bit of wood in sight....) I will be keeping a bottle of cleantrax in my first aid kit from now on, it just seems so very effective at dealing with a whole host of different foot conditions, its not the cheapest at 20 quid per treatment, but the fact Jess was sound in 36 hours and her feet seem to be much healthier looking since using it has me over the moon. I ordered another pot at the weekend to do another treatment on her in a couple of weeks to be sure and will get another to put in my first aid kit after that. Of course it could just be the foot is weaker around the nail holes but often I think they make an access point for nasties to get under the horn.

Yes definitely to do with nail holes, his backs are unshod (I boot to hack) and they are strong and no cracks although they do wear fairly quickly but they are fantastic since going on pro hoof.

I've never heard of cleantrax! Off to google now thanks :)

Reactions: Jessey
Roxy has poor feet - she is on the Top Spec supplement that's got loads of good stuff in it for feet ( was on Farrier's Formula before which was much the same but more expensive), and I rub Cornucrescine in twice a week. She comes in at night too now, partly because she was losing so many shoes, and she's kept this set on for nearly six weeks now (touch wood - farrier coming on Friday!)

Looks like he could have some nasties in there. I would order some cleantrax and blast those feet.

Are you taking him bare on the fronts as well??

Yes think I will have to do that.

No plan to go barefoot on his fronts no

Cleantrax is excellent - it works best with a boot to soak it in. I think I have one I can lend you if it doesn't come with one.

His hooves do look very tall but all feet look tall compared to Ziggy's, which are low profile!

I think a good hoof treatment like Cleantrax or something similar would be a good idea as a one-off to make sure you attack any nasties that might be lurking in there. But personally I'd avoid regular soaking as I suspect his feet are crumbling because they're too moist rather than too dry, the problem is likely to be excess moisture due to the time of year, in which case soaking will just make them weaker.

He is due a trim this week and I think it's a bad angle, thanks for all the advice everyone

If the farrier is due, that's who I would ask.
All farriers have different views and he is the one who is familiar with Ale's feet.

I have Stockholm tar that my mine suggested last year to plug an old abscess hole that she had. He might suggest that for your nail holes-if it's thoroughly cleaned without bugs in it.
Another farrier though has the view that this seals in bugs, but I always thought tar killed them and strengthened the hoof.

Farrier has recommended Stockholm tar before yes, said ale had soft feet and this would strengthen them. I find it so thick to put on though and wasn't really sure if I was Ment to put over the whole hoof or what. I'm going to go to the shop tomorrow and see what I can find to try and help.farrier is back Friday so I can try and speak to him then. Until then I will just give them a good clean with hibiscrub (it's all I have at the moment) and use purple spray and buy some hoof hardener and cornecresine tomorrow. And maybe some more tar to try on the holes!

Tar goes on all of the sole, not the bulbs. I have the runny version that goes everywhere.
I have cleaned with hibi, but usually I use Milton or salt if and when.

Thank-you, I'm going to look for the runny version tomorrow. I will do something until I can see if my farrier recommends anything else. Lots of people I have asked elsewhere saying take his shoes off but really don't think he will cope with that

If you try tar make sure the hooves are dry before you put it on otherwise it will seal in the damp. Walking on a gravel path or sand school should dry them out for you;)

I don't think that they are too bad really. I think that they have just got too wet and are crumbling. He obviously needs to be shod and I think that when the farrier has been they will look much better.

Due to the warm wet winters we have been suffering, with no frozen ground to kill off the bugs, we have been using Golden Hoof, The same foot bath Sheep and cattle farmers use in foot baths.. Just dissolved in warm water and tub the feet once, twice a week.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com