Hindsight Is A Wonderful Thing.....

palmerlover52

Feb 21, 2006
Portsmouth
:rolleyes:

Ever looked back and thought: "I really wish I didn't do that" or "What if I had done something else instead?"

I do it all the time....most recently, beginning of April, I was riding the resident looney horse Dusty. He's learnt every trick in the book to avoid working and frequently bucks, drops his shoulder, plants his feet, mini rears, spins and runs backwards at alarming speeds all with his head in giraffe mode...

We were doing ok, a few "Don't want to" tantrums and bucks, but nothing major....then we started cantering....he gave a *beautiful* transition and we cantered a full 20m circle without problems...then..he popped a MASSIVE buck, I seriously thought he would topple over, and heard everyone in my class take a huge :eek: breath...so then, me being the idiot that I am, decided to shout WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! as soon as he touched down. Not good. Hence full broncing as I panicked him and a very hurty crash landing!!!!!:D

So, what's your "Why did I do that!" moment?? Serious/Funny or otherwise:p

hmmmmm ....

has to be what happened on Thursday ;) , i was then walking up to the feild when she stopped, i literally shouted "Get you a** up there Woman!" with a big boot, then she done one of those *wild* horses buck/rear you name it, and off i came! woops :p

Probably when I decided to get on Dargi in the paddock with nothing on him,I just hopped on and grab hold of his mane and he took me under low a branch(evil horse:rolleyes: )and so I grabbed the branch and tried to slide off of his butt but it did'nt really work and I fell off the back of him and landed on my backside.What makes it funnier is while I was falling I shouted out"I'm Ok!" lol my friends could'nt stop laughing:p

When I tried to get on Molly off a plastic chair.

I got on the chair, one foot in the stirrup - and as I jumped, my foot slipped in the rain on the chair, chair fell over, Molly spooked and set off trotting, tripped over the chair, set off again, I just about got myself on board when she chucked a lovely buck, and off the other side I came to eat dirt.:eek:

No harm done, but valuable lesson learnt...... don't use a slippery plastic chair as a mounting block unless you want to take flying lessons

Oh i have many!
Latest is taking Alex to that bludy jump with the nitwits behind me. Coz it was bound to end in tears. Bludy back. Grr.
Month to go til im back in the saddle!!! Its so flippin frustrating!

I was on a disrespectful, unresponsive 13hh pony that I was riding for one of the kids who couldn't handle it very well last year at the riding school, and we got into a disagreement about whether he was going to cross the river(it's a more of a big stream, about five metres wide and about two and half feet deep in the middle) or not, so I untied the leadrope he had tied around his neck and swung it around to slap the length around his butt to bring him forward. He went forward, very forward:eek: He didn't even get his feet wet, and when he landed on the other side, I slid up his neck until I was almost sitting on his ears, he dropped his head, I put my feet on the ground and he backed out from under me. I was still going "What just happened?"
He didn't try me again though!

quick spurring...

Oh yes, I wish I would not have suddenly spurred my horse when he rubbed my leg up against a fence. He was being naughty, but I shouldn't have reacted suddenly. I pushed is "anger" button and I was bucked off in no time flat!

I did the ooh, let's see if I can counter canter my new horse= flat out gallop with stunned rider sitting in dust. fun.

Ever looked back and thought: "I really wish I didn't do that" or "What if I had done something else instead?"

OMG, so many times.

Serious: A year ago, when I first got Limerick. I lunged him a couple of times, he seemed placid enough. I was like "Meh, I'll hop on him" The owners told me that they used spurs on him because he was so sluggish. In the back of my mind I KNEW you shouldn't ride a new horse with crop or spurs the first couple of times, but did I listen to myself, nope! First couple of strides seemed fine, then he felt my spurs, he took off bucking, ran into a wall, I fell off and shattered my arm in 5 places.

Funny: I was riding Storm on the trails and we went for a gallop. Storm is notoriously fast. He beats out almost all the racehorses (we have a racing barn adjacent to us) and he's typically a bit hard to control. Anyways, I knew there was a sharp turn on one of the paths, but thought I was such a good rider that I could control him. Storm resisted, and steered himself right into the 5ft high fence and slammed on the breaks. I flew over the fence, landed right on my back and looked up to see one of the stallions looking down at me (picture a cartoon, because that's what it looked like!)

I do it all the time....most recently, beginning of April, I was riding the resident looney horse Dusty. He's learnt every trick in the book to avoid working and frequently bucks, drops his shoulder, plants his feet, mini rears, spins and runs backwards at alarming speeds all with his head in giraffe mode...

We were doing ok, a few "Don't want to" tantrums and bucks, but nothing major....then we started cantering....he gave a *beautiful* transition and we cantered a full 20m circle without problems...then..he popped a MASSIVE buck, I seriously thought he would topple over, and heard everyone in my class take a huge :eek: breath...so then, me being the idiot that I am, decided to shout WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! as soon as he touched down. Not good. Hence full broncing as I panicked him and a very hurty crash landing!!!!!:D

I was riding quite a green horse into an XC fence, I'd had him for the whole summer, bringing him on for his owner, and he was doing really nicely. The jump was about 3ft, with a pole filled with cut branches, with a solid ground line. All was going well until about a stride out I squawked out 'TALLY HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' in high spirits!! The HOOOOOOOOO was be flying over the jump, sans horse I might add....only to land and dislocate my shoulder. Now, I had done this before and so tried to 'pop' it back in myself with the assistance of a tree- not happening, so I caught Jake, managed to climb back on and rode back to the yard. I didn't want to miss my (paid for) lesson that evening so I continued working for the rest of the day- mucking out, cleaning tack etc. without anyone noticing (I bribed someone to sweep for me) I then strapped my arm to my body and climbed up onto my nearly 18hh ride for the evening- claiming I was riding one-armed for practice!! I survived the whole hour of a jumping lesson and then was discovered as I dismounted incorrectly- (couldn't lean forward as normal) and was rushed to hospital to have it put back in!! OWWWWW!!!! :D

Loads of times! My most recent one was when Misty was playing up in a lesson, so I stupidly agreed to ride him afterwards. Of course, all the little kids on the lesson wanted to stay and watch, and so I got on and started trotting around, doing circles and that. All the kids were like 'wow, he's good when she rides him' and I decided 'oh, he's being so good, I'll give him a canter'! :eek: Misty waited until I asked for canter, then decided the M marker stood for Monster and did a little rear, lept fowards and started to buck! He waitesd until I was hanging round his neck, stirrupless, before stopping and turning round to look at me like 'what're you doing there?' All the kids and helpers were laughing, and most of the parents looked like they were trying hard not to!

newrider.com