High Cushings score but no symptoms - do I treat?

Beanie

Oct 21, 2015
My 21 year old heavy cross has just had a reading of 127 for Cushings. He has no symptoms except perhaps growing his winter coat earlier each year, is very well in himself, still loves to charge around the countryside with me despite arthritis in his pasterns which he is on one bute per day for plus Maxaflex. Do i treat as a preventative measure, or do I wait until actual symptoms start? Thanks

Its a very personal decision, the first 'symptom' could be lami or just drinking a little more, thats what makes it so hard. You could try just managing diet etc, herbal option or prasend. In the grand schemes of ppid 127 isnt huge but def over the normal limit from discussions I have seen on ppid groups. What does your vet say?

May I ask why he was tested if no symptoms? Just curious and I don't know the answer to your question, as Jessey said what does your vet think?

Personally i would treat as I would be wanting him to stay as long as he can the way he is, as you describe, charging around and happy in himself.. Why leave it until he gets worse? surely its best to treat so he doesn't get worse? Saying that i would also be asking my vet for their advice.

Reactions: Trewsers
Thanks all, I was pondering the herbal chaste berry option too, he has no history of laminitis and I've had him since he was 4. We did the test as a recommendation from my vet just for ongoing knowledge of how he is doing inside and out, but coincided with the free test offered by www.talkaboutlaminitis.co.uk. Slightly wish I hadn't gone there now! My vet has given me all the info she can and left it entirely as my decision, she can see either option and would never push me one way or another unless she thought I was making a really wrong choice. But, there is no info I can find out there about their being a high-ish rating with no tangible symptoms.

newrider.com