Hi viz...

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
I was at the yard tonight and couldnt believe at half 7 we had sunset.

It got me thinking about winter... the dreaded winter. My police jacket has seen better days amd though it does the job. I know come winter there will be ome or two nights i wilö be caught out. I thought about buying another jacket though the actually reflective bits are great. Then i thought about buying one of them jackets that totally reflects the lights. The ones that when the car lights hit the jacket goes fully white. I arent going to be hacking in the dark its more... well when i am out i want to be seen really.
Any thoughts

I have one, I think it's by Equisafety, that's part hi viz and part reflective so it works really well whatever the light levels. It was pricy at full price, but I got it in a sale :)

Reactions: lauren123
I didn't like the look of the silver ones as they don't seem very conspicuous in normal day light (I haven't actuall seen one though!)

I think you def need combined high visibility and reflective if you are doing both day and night/poor visibility riding in the same gear.

Reactions: lauren123
Hadn't seen that sort of jacket. I think it would be really good.

I have a riding jacket designed for horse riders but it's all about the look not safety. I only brought it as it was heavily reduced and the only hi Viz they had in the shop to fit me. It's yellow with silver reflective bits on the arms and over the shoulder and round the middle, but it's also got black panels down the sides under the arms, and on the back near the bottom. What's that all about. It's hardly visible. Yet the jacket has the EN safety code. It's a load of buncombe. If your going to have hi Viz don't stick black panels on it too.

I think if there was any chance of me getting caught out in dusky conditions I would also have some lights just in case. Light up martingale, red light to clip onto back of hi Viz exercise sheet, flashing light up tabard, hat light, that sort of thing. I only hack in good visibility with hi Viz, anything else I would be using lights too.

I didn't mean that in a judgy way btw, just our roads are really busy so that's what I would personally do ?

If the weather's iffy iI's something I often do @Ale , I'm firmly of the view that I can't be too visible. And I mix up my hi viz colours, so my hat silk is one colour and my jacket or whatever is another. If the weather isn't too warm - and in the winter if his legs aren't too wet and muddy - I often put hi viz boots on Little In too, and an exercise sheet if I can. Basically if they say they didn't see me then they should let their guide dog drive!

Reactions: PePo and lauren123
I'm fairly certain builders brands do a high visibility and reflective jacket or tabard combined, at a fraction of the price of equine branded versions.

Granted, they aren't as shaped or flattering to the female figure as an equine version but they'd almost certainly do the job :)

If the weather's iffy iI's something I often do @Ale , I'm firmly of the view that I can't be too visible. And I mix up my hi viz colours, so my hat silk is one colour and my jacket or whatever is another. If the weather isn't too warm - and in the winter if his legs aren't too wet and muddy - I often put hi viz boots on Little In too, and an exercise sheet if I can. Basically if they say they didn't see me then they should let their guide dog drive!

Yes, I'm the same even though 99.9% of my hacking is bridleways I don't think you can ever be too visible :) One of our bridleways is very popular and it really helps with cyclists, runners and dog walkers that they can see orange or pink among the tree lines.

newrider.com