Hi, new here - is anyone else older AND disabled?

Corey

Aug 29, 2021
Hello. I'm an older rider (mid 50s) hoping to return to lessons and riding in October or November after several years. I lost my amazing heart horse and just haven't been able to be around them. But I'm also disabled and now I'm developing arthritis, and I feel like I'm running out of time if I ever want to get back in the saddle. I'm pretty frightened that when I finally try, I will find I can't do it any more.

I don't want to ask anyone to divulge health information they aren't comfortable with, but I would really appreciate hearing some success stories...I guess I just need some hope that it could go all right. Is anyone else struggling with age and physical disability, and can still ride? Am I holding out false hope to think I might be able to ride with arthritic knees? I just really need some realistic expectations, I suppose.

Thank you for any advice. I deeply appreciate it.

Lollykay

Feb 11, 2017
United States
Hello and welcome:)

1. You don’t say what the disability is and whether or not you have been able to do anything to keep up your muscle strength, which is also critical for arthritis.

1.1. I have a diagnosis of high Level II Spondylolisthesis. Recent x-rays are also showing osteoporosis and every day seems to bring a new spot of arthritis. I am so trashed from the neck to the tail bone, I am inoperable.

I have a new-to-me, great chiropractor who keeps me walking with nothing more than a cane. She is gobsmacked by the fact I can stand straight up, walk straight and also clean stalls plus care for two horses every day.

I am 74. She is also gobsmacked at the muscle tone I still have, which is due to doing my own barn chores and handling/brushing my horses every single day. Those horses are what gets me up and moving every day.

I haven’t ridden to really ride (I’m a slide down the river bank/dig up the other side trail rider) in years but that is because the one horse who is still rideable (he is 27) is an onery, drop his shoulder, dip/spin and give you nine cents change for a dime kinda guy. I just can’t hang with him anymore. My other horse is 26 and frought with health issues that make him not rideable for more than 10-15 minutes down the straight rail.

If my heart horse were still alive, if his life long bud were still alive, if Joker had not fractured his sacrum or foundered —- I would be riding.

2. I am saying all This to say:

2.1. You NEED to regain muscle strength if you have lost it, especially in your core and your lower back. Even if that means seeking help from a PT or a chiropractor.

2.2. Do NOT try to find your heart horse — he/she is not out there, no matter how much a horse might remind you. My heart horse was laid to rest on my farm in 2014 - I still miss that fella but I would never try to find “another one just like him” because he can’t be replicated.

2.3. My thought would be to make the acquaintance of a lesson barn with some great Master lesson horses. Find a horse like my unridable Joker who is so loving, so forgiving of human error and willing to please, it could be likened to Job in the Scriptures.

That is the kind of horse you need to re-start your riding on — no matter how homely the horse might be; more often than not it is those not-so-pretty faces that are the best and kindest horses on the planet:)

I hope this is helpful:)

Corey

Aug 29, 2021
@Lollykay

Thank you so much! This is exactly the sort of information I was hoping for. I know relationships from the ground are more important than riding, but I'm just not ready to say goodbye forever to even the thought of being on a horse again.

I didn't want to bore everyone with a page of text about my health issues, but boiled down I have constant pain and joints that want to subluxate with little to no provocation. (There's a host of other issues on top of that, but these are the crucial points that will interfere with riding.) I have started exercising to try to build up muscle and also endurance...I don't know how well it's going, but it's at least helping me lose a bit of weight, so that is good! I've spent quite a bit of time this week researching exercises that will assist specifically with riding and core strength, in fact. I know I have no chance of returning to the saddle if I sit back and do nothing. I know where that would lead and I want to fight it off for as long as possible. People like you are a role model in that respect. :)

As for finding a heart horse again...I realize there is not another mare out there like my Aziza. She was 110% personality! If I can find a horse half as amazing as she was, I'll be happy. I am trying very hard not to hope for the kind of relationship I had with her. It was unique in my horsey experience, lightning in a bottle. But a horse that just makes me happy to be around? I hope that can happen.

Thank you for the encouragement and advice. I am truly grateful.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Hello and welcome. I can't be much help on the physical side of things, but I know what it's like to lose your equine soulmate. I had mine for 26 years and lost a piece of my heart when he passed. I knew I'd never get another if I left it until after he'd gone, so I got my present one before I had to face the loss. I don't love him in the same way, but I love him just as much. He almost fills the hole left by my lovely old boy, and he is as different as he could possibly be. You will find one, and you'll get as much joy as you did your Aziza, just in a different way. Take your venture back to the horsey world at the pace you're happy with, no- one but you can decide what your limitations are. Good luck, let us know how you're getting on.

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
Welcome! I expect you know already, but the RDA are a good resource who can help people enjoy their riding and know about a lot of ways to do it.

Reactions: Corey and Trewsers

Corey

Aug 29, 2021
Hello and welcome. I can't be much help on the physical side of things, but I know what it's like to lose your equine soulmate. I had mine for 26 years and lost a piece of my heart when he passed. I knew I'd never get another if I left it until after he'd gone, so I got my present one before I had to face the loss. I don't love him in the same way, but I love him just as much. He almost fills the hole left by my lovely old boy, and he is as different as he could possibly be. You will find one, and you'll get as much joy as you did your Aziza, just in a different way. Take your venture back to the horsey world at the pace you're happy with, no- one but you can decide what your limitations are. Good luck, let us know how you're getting on.
Thank you! Not loving the same way but just as much...that's what I'm hoping for, at least. I don't want any new horse to suffer by comparison. That isn't fair to anyone.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Corey

Aug 29, 2021
Welcome! I expect you know already, but the RDA are a good resource who can help people enjoy their riding and know about a lot of ways to do it.
Thank you for the suggestion. I had not heard of the RDA...I'm in the US, but it seems they are part of an umbrella organization that has a branch here. I will investigate that. Thank you for pointing them out to me! I look forward to seeing what I can learn from them.

Reactions: GaryB