Hi, I’m 52 and new

Hi everyone 68 yr old here just joined Been having lessons now for 6 months
Its what I always wanted but thought I'd missed the boat so to speak! Anyway absolutely love it. Looking forward to getting tips and advice from members!
Hello and welcome! Never too late - I'm 63 and just not long ago bought my second after my 30 year old retired. Look forward to hearing your adventures!

Hi yes I found the horse and hound forum great when you wanted to get advise or find out if someone had used a certain something but last year no one is using do you think they have gone onto facebook?

Hello and welcome! Never too late - I'm 63 and just not long ago bought my second after my 30 year old retired. Look forward to hearing your adventures!
Hello i'm 65 and have two horses one retired and one 5year who i backed last year ..... Im enjoying now more than ever as more time being mostly retired great finding more oldys

Reactions: Huggy
Hello i'm 65 and have two horses one retired and one 5year who i backed last year ..... Im enjoying now more than ever as more time being mostly retired great finding more oldys
Oooh you're brave taking on a youngster! I got my old boy 26 years ago as a 4 year old - couldn't do it now! Was nearly seduced by a gorgeous little 5 yr old cob mare, but lucky for me saw Hogan (12) and fell for him. We'll grow old(er) together. Best thing I ever did - both times!

Omg so lucky to actually own a horse. I wish! Still am just grateful at 68 to be fit and able to enjoy my weekly 2 riding lessons. It's my pash!! Doing well 8 months on too. Next thing canter!! Been there by accident!! Another a story!! However kept my seat not come off yet! Had a great lesson today felt really good. Watch this space next Tuesday
!! However it goes I hope to still be riding in 10 years time!!

Omg so lucky to actually own a horse. I wish! Still am just grateful at 68 to be fit and able to enjoy my weekly 2 riding lessons. It's my pash!! Doing well 8 months on too. Next thing canter!! Been there by accident!! Another a story!! However kept my seat not come off yet! Had a great lesson today felt really good. Watch this space next Tuesday
!! However it goes I hope to still be riding in 10 years time!!
There are few better feelings than a good lesson or hack! Have you a secret favourite horse at the riding school? I will always remember my two - Glen, a grey highland pony for lessons and jumping, and General, an 18hh (!!) (I'm 5ft 2!) for hacking. Like riding a big old armchair!. Let us know how Tuesday goes, good or bad. We can be on hand for congrats or commiserations(hopefully the former!)

There are few better feelings than a good lesson or hack! Have you a secret favourite horse at the riding school? I will always remember my two - Glen, a grey highland pony for lessons and jumping, and General, an 18hh (!!) (I'm 5ft 2!) for hacking. Like riding a big old armchair!. Let us know how Tuesday goes, good or bad. We can be on hand for congrats or commiserations(hopefully the former!)

Thanks Huggy. I have only ridden the same horse since I started! Her name is Suranne !! It's only a small stables and they don't have many horses for adults but everyone is great there. She certainly has a mind of her own! Sometimes she wont go and other times speeds up mostly when following my riding partner! All good practice I guess. She is the same with most people especially the novices! I do love her though.
This forum is great. Being able to discuss things with likeminded people instead of boring my family with daily reports!
Let's see what next week brings! Does anyone think its possible to try too hard?
I love riding so much and I'm so intent on getting things right, one hour a week isn't much but can't afford more really. Still am lucky to be able to do it.

:rolleyes:
Thanks Huggy. I have only ridden the same horse since I started! Her name is Suranne !! It's only a small stables and they don't have many horses for adults but everyone is great there. She certainly has a mind of her own! Sometimes she wont go and other times speeds up mostly when following my riding partner! All good practice I guess. She is the same with most people especially the novices! I do love her though.
This forum is great. Being able to discuss things with likeminded people instead of boring my family with daily reports!
Let's see what next week brings! Does anyone think its possible to try too hard?
I love riding so much and I'm so intent on getting things right, one hour a week isn't much but can't afford more really. Still am lucky to be able to do it.
It's actually quite good to have a school horse with a mind of its own - gives one a bit of a challenge, and if she does as she's told, then you know you're doing it right! We must have a canter comp - see who gets to do it first! Think itll be you - I'm still only walking with Hogan, dying to do more, but with him it's definitely baby steps. Also, I'm not as young as I was when I was riding my old boy - I don't bounce anymore! It is indeed good to have somewhere to babble on about our passion in life - my husband glazes over when I start.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
It's actually quite good to have a school horse with a mind of its own - gives one a bit of a challenge, and if she does as she's told, then you know you're doing it right! We must have a canter comp - see who gets to do it first! Think itll be you - I'm still only walking with Hogan, dying to do more, but with him it's definitely baby steps. Also, I'm not as young as I was when I was riding my old boy - I don't bounce anymore! It is indeed good to have somewhere to babble on about our passion in life - my husband glazes over when I start.:rolleyes:

Hello and welcome!

Great to hear about people starting riding in their sixties, you're never too old to try something new and it doesn't have to be knitting or water colour painting (although that's fine too!) I'm 41 and it's really inspiring to hear!

Thanks Fortunately I'm fit enough to do it, and I think riding is a great form of exercise as well as being great fun, it is however, addictive! I hope to end up a better rider than knitter, I've got unfinished knitting here, started it in 1980 before my son was born. He's now 38!!

I started at 62 and tho my OH cantered before he could rise in trot, it took me much longer. I admired a girl cantering and the RI told me that girl had been the last in her class to learn. You need to stay safe and not scare yourself. Ive seen young men put off riding by cantering too soon.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Quite agree, no point in rushing things. I think its important to concentrate on having a good seat, and being able to do a good rising trot first. We've been doing sitting trot too, and without stirrups which I enjoy! still looking forward to being able to canter eventually!

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Welcome! I just joined NR today. I have over 60 years of experience riding and am also a trainer. I never consider age as a factor - sometimes, mobility, but that can be overcome with a bombproof lesson horse!
If you ever come to California, let's ride together! A lot of people don't care to ride with us older cowgirls, but I still race barrels and have a blast!

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com