Hi! Getting to know the horse you just bought???

Horseswillrule1

Nov 8, 2004
Australia
Hi!

I'm new to this section of NR, and I was wondering after you have bought and horse and brought it home how to bond with it? I mean should you start straight away like off the float and straight into the paddock? I am so lost. I owned a horse for 3 years and I had known the horse since I can remember! So I had all ready bonded with it.

Any ideas would be awsome!
Thanks,

Well that's a huge question- but very first thing I would do is attach a 12' line to a headcollar and go for a walk together all around the property where your horse will live. Groom, spend time, massage, TT if you do it. Tie the horse up near to you with some hay and do some jobs around the yard, keep going over for a chat and a scratch.
Good luck!

I would recommend having a bunch of carrots as well, and not riding on the day it arrives just hang out with it and feed lots of carrots and hugs.

It's also a good idea not to ride your horse every time you see him/her??? so occasionally make some together time for a walk, carrots and massage. even if it's just once a fortnight.

Spend a few days grooming and taking her for walks, she IS going to test the boundaries with you in the first two weeks so don't be put off by a test or two, just make sure you are firm and fair and get your own way.

Once she trusts you on the ground you will have a far, far better relationship once you climb on board. A lot of folk seem to overlook this, they seem to think ridden problems need to be sorted out while riding, setting the basis for a good riding horse starts on the ground.

If ew have nervous oungsters who maybe havn't been handled much I always spend a while with a brush just brushing them with another horse who is laid back. It's very good for them.

i have pinched a few of these ideas myself ;)
as i just got my first horse two months ago!

he was on box rest for the first 3 weeks we had him, but that's a long story..
anyway! in the evening i bring him in and while he's eating his hay, i find giving him a massage (as everyone else suggested!) with a rubber curry comb is a good way to get him to trust you.

i also have to walk him down the track (about a 5 min walk) to the field, and if it's early/really late, it's usually dark, so i find talking(or babbling) to myself or the horse keeps him calm! if he's listening to birds screeching or bushes moving, i find he's more alert.
plus he'll get to know your voice tones (when you're angry with him/happy with him)

happy bonding! ^_^

Congrats on the new horse!

It's great to see that you're willing to spend some together time before riding. In my opinion, a little time spend bonding and going over things from the ground helps a long way once you're in the saddle.

What I did was just spend alot of time with my horses: groom more than once a day, visit them every few hours (usually with a small treat each time), talk to them.

Now my two follow me around like puppy dogs... it's so cute. I don't know if this works on other horses, but this is just what worked for me.

newrider.com