Hi from newbie...with pictures!

woohoo

Jan 5, 2015
Hi all. Just introducing myself and my horses. I love training and learning and I have a rather large kwpn who I have owned since he was 4. He is incredibly sensitive and is teaching me more than I ever thought there was to know! I suffered a massive confidence crisis not long after I had backed him, but I have persevered and with help from a wonderful coach I feel a real bond with this horse. He will be 12 this year and I know he has more to teach me yet. He is bred for dressage and my initial aim was to train him to GP and ride amazing freestyle tests(I am a musician.) However, his views are now more important to me and he was not enjoying the pressure of schooling(he doesn't like hacking either!) So we are now doing very basic, easy stuff out hacking, some bridleless stuff and groundwork.

Because I moved from a livery yard to my own place, it was necessary to get a companion. I decided to get another youngster and found a pretty, totally unhandled 6 month old filly. She is highly trainable, very bright and rather cheeky! I began her training the day she arrived so when I finally officially backed her last summer it was a doddle. I would like to do working equitation with her, but having learned from my other horse,I need to be patient and only pursue stuff that she enjoys too........I have a feeling she is going to prefer doing long distance rides because she is nosey and loves exploring!

Welcome :) Lovely beasties! I am a great believer in not forcing our ambitions on our horses and making them do disciplines they don't actually seem to enjoy doing. There is a British rider called Jill Thomas who is/was one of the best endurance riders in the world, she originally fell into the sport because her horse only liked hacking and wouldn't do anything else!

Hi and welcome. WOW he's got a really nice face, he looks right into you !! She's pretty too. We had an apaloosa gelding 3yrs old on our yard in the summer. He came from the local rescue centre, eventually someone came to re home him and he's doing really well now. [emoji4]

Two lovely horses, though goodness, aren't they different!

I love it that you are taking your horses' preferences into account when deciding what to do with them. I'd love to see your spotty girlie doing working equitation, I bet she would look stunning! And what you are doing with your boy sounds great too - if that's what he likes, wonderful.

Thanks for the warm welcome. They are very different, Jane&ziggy. They also bicker like an old married couple!

Hello and welcome :) Lovely horses thanks for sharing, look forward to hearing more about them.

Hi and welcome! What beautiful horses you have :) I absolutly love what you are saying about pursuing what they find interesting and enjoy. Think I need to take some of that advice and do more jumping! Which my boy loves but I'm terrifed of! Lol!

newrider.com