HI from Australia - possible allergy?

Docosugar

Nov 12, 2020
Thank you for allowing me join your group. I am hoping with all you horse people, someone will have had similar experience.
I am currently having issues with my quarter horse (spring in Australia)
he is blowing/snorting through his nose a lot - like 20-30 times an hour
he has been scoped, nothing up there, awaiting bloods and nasal swab
i also sent off for a hair analysis which my vet thinks is hocus pocus, but
he doesnt know what to do, so ill give anything a try.
ive taken him off hay and chaff and put him on essential 150
he has free access to grass 24/7...
i think possible allergy, but to what, i dont know
has anyone had similar?
what did you do, did it improve, how long did it take
any advice or comments will be greatfully acknowledged.

No idea, but if youve tried taking him off hay and it hasnt worked, you might need to take him off grass and try stabling. Ive heard that some horses can be allergic to grass.

I have taken him of all hay, i don't have access to stables unfortunately, and he would be miserable anyway. He is still eating well,
i have changed to a pellet based feed with all the necessary vit and mineral, also added linseed oil, and chia for omega 3.
i have a feeling it could be pollen based allergy...

Nothing has come back with the blood or nasal swab, both normal, not even inflamation in the nasal passages
I had a hair anayalsis done, from a highly recommended guy in queensland. (Vet thinks its hocus pocus) but i was happy to try as it was only $30
its came back with a slight viral load, he is sending me some potion to use for 6 days 20ml per day...so that will be very interesting @ $70
cheaper than the $800 from the vet ive already spent.
i also have on order antihistamines, which i will try as a last resort... prefer to fix it if at all possible, they are human ones, so you have to order a few boxes
and crush them and feed to him..
Looking into head shaking also, something to do with a nerve in the head, which triggers head shakes, he might be doing the nose thing instead, i hope not.

Yeah I’d be using the antihistamines as a diagnostic tool not planning to use them long term. I’ve heard a lot of good things about allergy testing helping narrow down what it is they are allergic to, I think it’s the vaccine produced from it that is lower efficacy.

Reactions: Docosugar
I have a head shaker but he doesnt blow or snort as you describe. Does flick his head and occasinal clears his nose.
If you are on facebook, you could join a couple of the headshaking groups. Some people have posted videos on there, so it might be worth watching some of those to see if anybodies have displayed symptomslike your boy.. Lots of suggestions on there too of various treatmemts people have tried.

I have a head shaker but he doesnt blow or snort as you describe. Does flick his head and occasinal clears his nose.
If you are on facebook, you could join a couple of the headshaking groups. Some people have posted videos on there, so it might be worth watching some of those to see if anybodies have displayed symptomslike your boy.. Lots of suggestions on there too of various treatmemts people have tried.
thank you, yes i found few sites on facebook..

Have you tried anything, is it seasonal, what country are your in?

Yeah I’d be using the antihistamines as a diagnostic tool not planning to use them long term. I’ve heard a lot of good things about allergy testing helping narrow down what it is they are allergic to, I think it’s the vaccine produced from it that is lower efficacy.
thanks Jessey, yes definately dont want to use them long term...be interesting to see if the hay anyalisis guy fixes it...

Reactions: Jessey
Also trying equine breathing technique also, quite an interesting site, if you want to check it out, she is on FB and has a web site
Equine breathing.

I use table salt added to my lads feed. Only in the summer though. Taken him off the salt about 6 weeks ago. We are autumn now here. I ride in a nosenet but that has very little effect. He was almost unrideable in the summer so this year i tried riding in a fly mask and had 95% instant success. In the last few weeks ive stopped using the fly mask now its turned colder and less sun. Occasional rides of head flicking mainly if windy.
My lad is more summer affected by very bright sunlight and the extreme heat. Wind and snow are also factors. Headshaking is worse if being trotted or cantered.
Ive tried vicks on the nostils and an ear bonnet, but my boy is quite headshy so these were too stressful to apply or put on him, so i stopped trying before he injured me.

thank u great info on those sites

thank u lots of good info on them
lots to learn

I use table salt added to my lads feed. Only in the summer though. Taken him off the salt about 6 weeks ago. We are autumn now here. I ride in a nosenet but that has very little effect. He was almost unrideable in the summer so this year i tried riding in a fly mask and had 95% instant success. In the last few weeks ive stopped using the fly mask now its turned colder and less sun. Occasional rides of head flicking mainly if windy.
My lad is more summer affected by very bright sunlight and the extreme heat. Wind and snow are also factors. Headshaking is worse if being trotted or cantered.
Ive tried vicks on the nostils and an ear bonnet, but my boy is quite headshy so these were too stressful to apply or put on him, so i stopped trying before he injured me.
yes has full face fly veil, ears eyes and long nose flap, havent tried a nose net as u think he will rub it off and its currently over 30+ degrees very hot..i use salt all year round different weather here..
he is the same riden ir at rest atm
this afternoon i counted 5 smorts every 2 minutes..

newrider.com