Hey...its been a while

horse91

Dec 24, 2005
WOW! I haven't posted a thread/reply for months! I never thought I could last that long...heheh

Anyways, throughout the last months, I have had huge exams and finals and mid terms and assessments and blah blah blah so Ive had so much work and I still have four exams left until Wednesday 20/12/2006 then I'm going to Dubai for vacation...cant wait. Although I haven't been posting, God knows how many hours I've ridden for in the past months...I have been riding everyday except Fridays which has been great. I have been riding a horse named "Majd". Shes a 7/8th Arabian. 7 years old and chestnut with a star on her head. Adorable, but she has a riding problem.

I ride her in a 'desert'...well its not really a desert, there are only factories in sight. She is used to it and really good. She is my friends horse and he only rides her once a month because he has a lot of work to do (hes in his 30s, not a teenager like me) so I can ride her whenever I please..YAY!

The problem is that as we are leaving the stable, she is adorable...amazing, and couldn't be any better UNLESS any of her friends are in front of her. So she cant handle being in the back. even if we are only riding with one other horse (which is actually what we do). So if we are leaving stable and we are in front of or next to her mate(s), then shes fantastic, but if we are leaving stable and her mate(s) is(are) in front of her, she PULLS sooo hard on the reins its unbelievable and I dont want to make this a pulling contest and make her numb in the mouth...

My trainer (who rides with me ALL THE TIME) suggests that when she pulls, that I should automatically "give" her the reins...so that there is no pressure and that as soon as she stops pulling, I should gather the reins again. I tried doing that, but if I "give" her the reins, she goes at a flat out gallop until we reach her friend. Believe me I can stop her by pulling hard on the reins, but I do not want to pull hard on the reins and make her numb to the bit.

When that didnt work, I researched online and this trainer (forgot his name) said that I should keep my hand in the firmest position, so that she can learn that pulling wont get her anywhere...seems logical and nice, but wouldnt it make her numb...and what if it doesnt work?

Please help..and thanks alot

Have a look into the 'one rein stop' and use it enthusiastically at every opportunity. You are quite right - pulling with both reins just results in a battle of wills. Some trainer or other has a neat little saying that helps remind me when to use one rein, when to use two ... "one rein for softness and control, two reins to get yourself killed" (well, he's a bit extreme !)

newrider.com