Herd Behaviour and Manners

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
My horse is second in command in a field currently of three. If herd leader says 'get out the way', the other two obviously obey, no questions asked. If I go into the field, I am always mindful to stay between herd leader and my own horse, so that I'm never put in a position where my horse flees in my direction and flattens me in the process.
Is this right? Should I expect that my horse should never flatten me in the process of escaping other horses, should he always be mindful of me?

If the herd leader ever tries to boss my boy around while I'm in the field...e.g. I'm stood talking to Flipo and herd leader comes over and shoos him away, I might back herd leader up a few steps to confirm that I am in charge, and wander back over to my own horse to say hello.

What are your expectations in these sorts of situations? Horses' field, so their rules? OR when you're around, you're boss? Or a mixture?

Hmm I try to be in charge but I will also avoid any situations where I could be kicked or mowed down :wink:

My gelding is boss of my mare in the field and he has to be first and she will line up behind him quietly waiting for you to come to her.

I will be mindful if they get in a curfuffle over who is first but I also expect them to respect me and not walk over me and push me around either.

I think you do right with the other horse to make it back up :smile:

I try and be boss for safety reasons! I am quite cautious and try to not let myself get into a bad spot. I would fully expect to be squished if Chloe was trying to get away from Storm, believe me, she can be ferocious!!

Its hard as your horse is acting in fear so may not be mindful of you in that way if in fear.

I always know who to stand closer to in my mini herd to be safe, never near Dolly as she is quick to react and sometimes for no logical reason.

Minnie would never push or run into me, she has a had a kick because she was unwilling to push me out the way.

Interesting. Ziggy is always mindful of people and will never run someone over even when (very bossy, stroppy, cross) boss mare is threatening him hard. Mattie on the other hand just gets out of the way, over the top of you if you are in it.

I'm not sure I could train Mattie not to unless he was more frightened of me than of Bella, which isn't how I would like him to feel about me...

I have been ran over several times by juney. Womble is slightly more mindful but if hes truely scared and wants to go I do my best to make sure im not in the way

When I go into the field, all bets are off.

I am the leader. They behave around me. Any hint of a hierarchy around me is quickly finished by me.

The herd accept this. Even with, like last year, two stallions, 2 colts and 4 geldings together - they all behave.

If it is the mares, the same goes. I am boss mare of them all.

There is rarely any indication of an argument within the herd when I am in there. If there is, I see it before it happens. I am always reading their body language and no situation is allowed to escalate out of control. It is stopped instantly before it begins.

Having said that, in the school last week, someone riding their horse, mowed me down. They hit me in the back. I felt like I had been run over. I was amazed, appalled and shocked. I do not know of one horse of mine that would even think to walk into a human. This horse has huge issues with its manners, ridden and on the ground too. Its owner brought it to do join-up. I was very damaged afterwards.

I think as you are not the owner of the other two horses it is a lot harder to read and handle.

My boys together are careful Ginger is the leader Chanter stays back but when Chanter was in with his old field mate I got caught between them. Chanter went to stand his ground as I was there but got scared when the other horse actually bodly went for him. I got knocked over and flattened in the process breaking my arm.

I believe that when a horse is really spooked, scared or what ever flight takes over and all bets are off if you happened to be standing next to them they will take you out. if you are away from them then they would try to miss you

Mine is in a herd of ten, it would be impossible to watch them at all times, though I am aware of who is grazing with whom. Its their job to watch me, I am alpha end of. The dynamics change all the time apart from this. Mine will on occasion challenge me/ask me depending on your views. She isn't high up, in fact she is moved around quite a bit.

They have all shot off for a run round, mine stays with me, usually with boyfriend. Sometimes she brings the friend of the day with her as well for a fuss. But i am aware that they don't have a lot of spatial awareness and they may not dodge me which is why I make myself pretty dam big.

The herd leader whoever it is that moment doesn't dare move mine out the way when I am dealing with her, he has gone to once and was corrected pdq-go away. Ours are pretty chilled though, its only hay going out that you see who moves who.

Eta mine has knocked someone over just by walking into them and knocked down like a skittle, she also has no respect for anyone who is not confident. So one livery you can see she blatantly doesn't bother to go around-livery moves out the way. Not sure whose problem this is, mine respects you if you let her know where to be, but she doesn't naturally see humans as things to respect.

Last edited:
newrider.com