Henley market today

pauline w

Sep 22, 2009
Worcestershire
For those of you who read the other threads about the dreadful state of the horses at Henley market, a bit of an update. I received a reply to my complaint on friday from the RSPCA, I won't go into too much detail but they are very aware of my concern. Well, off I went to Henley today...... vet and RSPCA inspector were in pens, examining ponies, filling in forms while asking owners questons, were overheard saying that a complaint had been made (to a member of public) The RSPCA bought a bucket from one of the traders, filled it from the trough and held it for a mare with a foal to drink from. A stallion was penned well away from the main pens. Straw in the ring, no kids climbing up bars. There were still puppies and rabbits in cages and I don't know if they were approached by them. Both the defra vet and RSPCA were very much in evidence all day. I was there with my camera but felt very conspicuous so didn't take too many,got some good ones, but don't think I should put them on the www. I am so very glad that they have listened to little me :)

Im glad to hear that you take the time to fight for the welfare of the some of the most vulnerable horses and ponies. Well done to you and atleast your voice was heard, and im sure will make a difference in the times to come for these wonderful animals. ;)

That's good to hear that they were there and have obviously taken on board your complaint, the more often they attend - the less chance of ill/injured horses getting sold on there.

Still wonder what happened to that poor mare at the last auction they held there.

The lady I bought Albi from got him from Henley market in December when he looked like this...

11832_238000590048_502085048_462980.jpg

11832_238000605048_502085048_462980.jpg

Thankfully with a bit of TLC he's blossomed from his ugly duckling phase and is now this beautiful lad... but it sounds like it could have easily been a different story :(

Email3.jpg

Email2.jpg

Op so glad they have taken your complaint on board. I am still haunted by the eyes of that poor mare from your other Henley photographs. Can only hope her suffering came to an end.:(

God bless people like yourself. x

I'm so glad you did something about it, it's heartbreaking to know what goes on but it's even worse that no one gives the poor beasties a voice, well done you, you should be very proud.x

What a shame for any animal in that situation to not have respectful care and attention, never mind basic provisions. It's a sad state of affairs when it comes to concerned members of the public making complaints so that the relevant professionals do their job :confused: Or have I got it wrong and there doesn't need to be a vet or welfare officer present???

The lady I bought Albi from got him from Henley market in December when he looked like this...

11832_238000590048_502085048_462980.jpg

11832_238000605048_502085048_462980.jpg

Thankfully with a bit of TLC he's blossomed from his ugly duckling phase and is now this beautiful lad... but it sounds like it could have easily been a different story :(

Email3.jpg

Email2.jpg

What a difference.....he really is a stunner Domane, just my 'cup of tea',
bless.......he is GORGEOUS..........x

Pauline W......well done for complaining, hopefully more people will follow and these poor Animals can at least be sold under 'proper' conditions.

yes the little roan mare seems to have disappeared again. i pray she is either dead or in a good place. either way, at least not suffering. she still haunts me.

newrider.com